Cisco 1924 switch setup

I purchased a Cisco Catalyst 1924-EN switch on eBay recently. Since this is an older model, Cisco no longer supports it. The switch appears to have been reset to its factory defaults, with all ports on VLAN 1, since I have been able to get online with my PC connected to the switch on port 1 and a x-over cable on port 24 to my router, but I am uncertain what version of IOS is running on the switch as I cannot access it or determine its IP address. I bought this switch as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive 2950s that are more commonly used for the labs, and I wanted to be able to get my 'feet wet' as it were to be able to learn how to set up & do some basic configurations to the switch. I plan on seriously studying for my CCNA this summer and just want to get a head start on it. Any info or helpful links to help me get this switch configured would be helpful. Tnx

Reply to
Mark J
Loading thread data ...

Mark,

First of all, if it has been reset to factory deffaults then you should be able to log in without a problem through the console cable. If not then you may want to reset the password. Here is a link that will show you how...

formatting link
Second, I'm not sure if you know this but the 19xx switches are 10 meg. only and not 10/100. If you are going to go for your CCNA you may want to get a switch that can do 10/100. I got my CCNA almost 6 years ago and back then the 19xx was what they required you to know. I understand that the new CCNA covers features not available on a 19xx switch.

Chris

Reply to
clubfoot

I know that this is only a 10BaseT switch, but it will suffice to get my feet wet as it were. Thanks for the link to the password recovery. I now got the switch set up and running.

formatting link

Reply to
Mark J

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.