Dual Cisco 2501 router setup

I'm attempting to setup two Cisco 2501 routers to study for the CCNA. Since I'm a bit new to Cisco equipment, could someone give me a general outline on how to setup the 2 2501s to route traffic between

2 networks?

I've done this numerous times with FreeBSD or Linux boxes, but I'm somewhat lost on the Cisco 2501s. So far, I've configured and brought up Ethernet0 on both routers. One is configured as 192.168.1.1/24 while the other interface is configured at 172.16.255.1/16. Each interface is connected to a Cisco 1924 switch, each switch is isolated by itself. Finally I have a DCE->DTE cable running from Serial0 of router 1 to Serial0 of router 2. Is there anything else I should do? I've got to be missing something simple...

The following is a rough idea of my setup:

ST = straight through cable

Computer 1 Cisco 1924 Cisco 2501 Cisco 2501 Cisco 1924 Computer 2

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
darkspleen
Loading thread data ...

Routers generally have an IP address for each interface, and route layer-3 traffic from interface to interface. Ethernet interfaces aren't the only ones that you have IP addresses on. Some routers have hundreds of real or virtual interfaces, each with their own IP address in different networks.

In general (without doing things like "ip unnumbered" you would assign an additional network to s0 on the first 2501, and another IP in that network to s0 on the 2nd 2501.

Routers don't bridge traffic (unless you setup bridging), they route, so you need to tell routers which interface to route through, and create the routing table to handle all traffic.

So you would setup a static route for 172.16.255.1/16 to route down out the serial interface (either by an IP gateway route, or out the interface itself), and likewise on the other 2501.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for the quick response. So would the following work fine provided I setup the correct routes after setting up the interfaces correctly?

Switch 1 - Ethernet 1 - 192.168.100.1 Switch 1 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.1 Switch 2 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.2 Switch 2 - Ethernet 1 - 172.16.255.1

Reply to
darkspleen

Sure, that sounds good (although I don't know what context a "switch" would be for a serial interface).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.