Cisco voice vlan

Hi Guys,

I am configuring our Cisco 3750 to support CIsco CME, i have noticed that we can configure the interface either as ab access port or as a trunk and both will support Voice and Data Vlans.

EXAMPLE 1 ACCESS PORT

interface GigabitEthernet0/11 switchport access vlan 141 switchport mode access switchport voice vlan 41 srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0 queue-set 2 mls qos trust device cisco-phone mls qos trust cos macro description cisco-phone auto qos voip cisco-phone spanning-tree portfast spanning-tree bpduguard enable

EXAMPLE 2 TRUNK PORT

interface GigabitEthernet0/1 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk native vlan 141 switchport trunk allowed vlan 41,141 switchport mode trunk switchport voice vlan 41 srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0 queue-set 2 mls qos trust device cisco-phone mls qos trust cos auto qos voip cisco-phone spanning-tree portfast spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Kindly ignore the Qos configuration as Auto Qos has been used in both configuration; cisco's macro configuration applies the access port configuration while cisco's documentation recommmend the .1q trunk configuration.

I have tested both in the Lab and both have worked just fine; i always thought that we have to use .1q for security reasons.

Your recommendation as the best practices is higly appreciated.

Regards, Andy

Reply to
Andy
Loading thread data ...

Both configurations do the same thing, the data vlan is untagged and the voice vlan is a dot1q tagged vlan. In a pure Cisco environment (with Cisco switches and Cisco phones) the best practice is the ACCESS configuration. The difference between the two is subtle but significant. In the ACCESS configuration, the port is NOT in trunking mode unless a Cisco phone is attached to the port. The phone detection mechanism used by the switch is CDP, which is why it can only be used with Cisco phones. With the TRUNK configuration the port is ALWAYS in trunk mode even if you don't have a phone attached. Broadcast traffic and unknown unicast on the voice vlan is always sent out (tagged with the voice vlan) even when no phone is attached. If you attach another switch, then the port is also in trunking mode, but with the ACCESS configuration the port is not trunked. For these reasons, the ACCESS configuration is considered a bit more secure.

Reply to
Thrill5

Thrill5,

Thank you for your reply.

Regards, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.