Channelised ISDN E1/PRI and serial interfaces number

Hi. I need some help regarding interpreting a show ver output of a 3620 router. This is what I have:

cisco 3620 (R4700) processor (revision 0x81) with 24576K/8192K bytes of memory.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 32 Serial network interface(s) 1 Channelized E1/PRI port(s)

How many interfaces and what kind of interfaces does this router have? I'm confused about the number of Serial interfaces. Does the Channelized E1/PRI port create virtual serial interfaces (i think yes) and if yes than how many?

From what i can see from the configuration the router has:

1 FastEthernet interface 1 Channelized E1/PRI interface 1 Real Serial Interface

Thank you in addvance.

Reply to
Morph
Loading thread data ...

Yes. One for each channel.

I'd put it at 2 real serial interfaces, but I haven't done that function on the 36xx before. It could be bringing in some of the system chassis ports into the mix for whatever reason.

On my 7200's with channelized T1s, I'll get 28*# of T3 controllers.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

| Morph writes: | >I need some help regarding interpreting a show ver output of a 3620 | >router. | >This is what I have: | | >1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) | >32 Serial network interface(s) | >1 Channelized E1/PRI port(s) | | >How many interfaces and what kind of interfaces does this router have? | >I'm confused about the number of Serial interfaces. Does the Channelized | >E1/PRI port create virtual serial interfaces (i think yes) and if yes | >than how many? | | Yes. One for each channel.

It's a bit strange. E1 has 32 channels. Which means all the mentioned 32 serial ports are from the PRI. But from the configuration I see this: interface Serial0/0 bandwidth 1024 ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.252 ip directed-broadcast service-policy output voip1 no cdp enable (X.X.X.X is a public IP) which seems as a real serial interface

and then this interface Serial1/0:15 which is the PRI.

So if there is one serial interface for each channel in PRI + this real serial interface shoudn't show ver show 33 serial interfaces?

| >From what i can see from the configuration the router has: | >1 FastEthernet interface | >1 Channelized E1/PRI interface | >1 Real Serial Interface | | I'd put it at 2 real serial interfaces, but I haven't done that function | on the 36xx before. It could be bringing in some of the system chassis | ports into the mix for whatever reason. | | On my 7200's with channelized T1s, I'll get 28*# of T3 controllers.

You mention you have channelized T1s. Shouldn't you have 24*# of T1 controllers serial interfaces? Why 28 and why T3? Or am I again missing something? :)

Reply to
Morph

Morph writes: ..

Sorry, one of those leaps of logic in my brain that doesn't always map correctly, me comparing my channelized T3s to your channelized E1.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Your "32 Serial network interface(s)" are:

1 "real serial interface", Serial0/0 1 ISDN D channel interface in your PRI, Serial1/0:15 30 ISDN B channel interfaces in your PRI, Serial1/0:0-Serial1/0:14 and Serial1/0:16-Serial1/0:30

To see all your interfaces at a glance, use "show ip interface brief"

Note: your B channel interfaces are NOT directly configurable (will not show up in show running-config.) You configure them via the D channel interface.

Hth,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

| Your "32 Serial network interface(s)" are: | | 1 "real serial interface", Serial0/0 | 1 ISDN D channel interface in your PRI, Serial1/0:15 | 30 ISDN B channel interfaces in your PRI, | Serial1/0:0-Serial1/0:14 and Serial1/0:16-Serial1/0:30 | | To see all your interfaces at a glance, use "show ip interface brief" | | Note: your B channel interfaces are NOT directly configurable (will | not show up in show running-config.) You configure them via the | D channel interface. | | Hth, | | Aaron

Thank you Aaron and Doug!

Reply to
Morph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.