Catalyst 2820

I have (2) 24 port catalyst 2820 Switches from Cisco. Which works fine but no clue how to log into the system.I have looked for wiring for it and only found for 1900 series. So, if anyone knows how to wire up a DB9 from the computer to DB9 switch console port. and then, how to login into the system I tried 8n1 none setting and no go ... I tried

8n2 and characters show up trying to talk to the modem. so is that a wire problem or settings or what? Let me know ... Drew
Reply to
drewmaster74
Loading thread data ...

I have (2) 24 port catalyst 2820 Switches from Cisco. Which works fine but no clue how to log into the system.I have looked for wiring for it and only found for 1900 series. So, if anyone knows how to wire up a DB9 from the computer to DB9 switch console port. and then, how to login into the system I tried 8n1 none setting and no go ... I tried

8n2 and characters show up trying to talk to the modem. so is that a wire problem or settings or what? Let me know ... Drew
Reply to
drewmaster74

Hi,

Not clear on your question but this may help:

formatting link
Paul

formatting link

Reply to
howtonetwork

Check this out

formatting link
I remember the one of the older Catalyst series switches had a proprietary console cable but according to the link about the

1900/2820 used a rollover. Instead of using the regular Cisco DB9 adapter, try a null modem adapter and make sure your terminal emulation software is set to for COMM rather than modem.

Also you might want to experiment with speeds, it might be that the speed was changed on the console port by the person who had this equipment before you.

Lastly, if you have SmartNET, Cisco might be willing to help you figure it out, even if these switches are not specifically under contract. But no guarantees on that.

Good luck.

Reply to
phir0002

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.