Buying a Cisco Router

Hi,

Our company needs a router to handle 2 Internet conections. I would like to be able to use both and have traffic fail-over to one in case the other would fail completely. What model offers this? What is this technology called?

Thanks,

PMD

Reply to
pmdorion
Loading thread data ...

Depends on type of internet connection which one will best suit ur needs. Most of the routers will handle a certain amount of data to run through any one interface. If your talking something like Dual synchronous DSL then you might want to look into something in the 18xx series. If your talking about dual redundant DS3's then go bigger into the 7xxx or larger. Many of the routers are module which allow you to usediferent types of internet technologies so you could use a T3 for your main internet and DSL as a backup. The next question is are you looking for reduntant internet routers or internet connections to multiple providers. I believe only the bigger routers use HSRP(Hot Standby Router Protocol). My suggestion is hire a consultant or contact a company like CDW which can help create and then sell you a solution as a one stop service.

If you are heart set on doing it your self. try doing some google searching. I believe that

formatting link
has a configuration suggestor which will take into account your responces to canned questions and then output a best case solution.

Steve

Reply to
Newbie72

Thanks!

Actually one Internet connection will come from a Microwave "Harris" antenna from provider A and another will come from ADSL with another provider. I need the IOS to balance, shape and route internet traffic to the best WAN link. It should also detect if one fails and failover to the other one and then back to load-sharing once the other link is back up.

I'm in South America so CDW will probably be as willing to help me as are the money-grabbing tech-lacking Cisco reps we have down here.

I'm thinking a 3845 router but don't understand its interfaces. It says 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 SFP ports, does that mean 4 interfaces?

I'd like to upgrade later on with a WAAS module, a network analisys module and the soon to appear Anti-X module.

I tried configuration a router on the cisco site but it cried about IOS incompatibility with devices chosen.

I just wish I could talk to someone who really knows Cisco products.

PMD

Reply to
pmdorion

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
A knowledgeable person at Cisco can assist you directly if you call Cisco's telephone number:

877-207-0850

Email Cisco:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

A Cisco 2811 would probably work fine.

formatting link
Or if you wanted Gig a 2821 would work well too.
formatting link

The 3845 may be over kill. It does have 2 Gig ports. The rest are slots. Cisco 3845, Cisco 3845 Router AC Power 2 GE 1 SFP 4 NME 4 HWIC IP Base

64F 256D
formatting link
Send me an email if you'd like.. snipped-for-privacy@netxg.net We specialize in Cisco Gear.
formatting link
Reply to
tweaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.