Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

Hi,

I am a newbie in the wireless world. I had a wired - normal router and just bought a wireless one. I would like my internet connection to be shared like this :

modem to wired router - already in place Wired router to my desktop - already in place Wired router to the wireless router - which port on wireless ? Internet or WAN or 1 ? Wireless router to my laptop

Is that possible ? If yes, how should I do it ?

Thanks.

Reply to
anonym
Loading thread data ...

Depends.. Do you just want to share internet but no network sharing stuff? Or do you just want it to be on the network like everything else you already have?

I'm assuming (

Reply to
Peter Pan

This is not necessary to get the router or an AP to work. The ip address kan be anything in the local ip address range - just as long as the OP doesn't mind re-assigning the ip-address on the pc used to connect to the router's (or AP's) configuration page.

I'm not sure, but should not the router (the one that is to be used as an AP) be connected (plugged into the existing network) by one of its LAN ports, and not by the WAN port?

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Note the second part of the assumption... "but still allow access to everything else... " most firewalls (including the one in XP-SP2) will isolate different subnets.. By making it the same subnet, you still allow access to everything else...

Yup, that's EXACTLY what it said in the part (after the comma) you snipped (and then included later on)... Was "on, and use the router part plugged into your existing network." .

Reply to
Peter Pan

The point is, it doesn't matter what the AP's ip-address is, as long as it's in the private ip-address range. I keep all my APs at the default addresses and have network controlpanels setup with the appropriate subnet to access the AP for configuration. Then I do not have to consult the manual each time to find out what the default address when I have to reset- or reconfigure the AP, which is the only time I need to use these address.

Any connected computer get its ip-address from the DHCP server in the router, to which the AP is connected (to one of its LAN ports).

To "allow access to everthing else" from the PC, it must be on the same subnet, unless you change the net mask to something like 255.0.0.0. What price you pay, for ex in performance in that case I do not know.

In my opinion, the description needs clarification. I have run seen posts in wireless news groups where the second router has been connected using its WAN port.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

In a home network, approximately none. In an office LAN with thousands of PCs, all chattering and maybe with a socking great realtime datafeed using UDP broadcast, its a considerable benefit.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Even in a home network I have a printer on a specifi subnet, that can only be used by puters on the same subnet.... DSL modem and same for a backup (dialup modem).. Aren't modems and printers a benefit? :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.