7200VXR only boots after a CPU reset

I have a test lab with two 7206VXR routers which I've been using for several months now. One of the routers is behaving oddly; if I issue a reset command from enable, it will reset, but then hang, failing to load IOS and not responding to the break key. If I power cycle the router, I get the same thing. However, if I press the recessed CPU reset button on the front, the router reports the CPU reset and boots up normally.

I thought this might be a confreg setting, but I set it to 0x2102, and I get the same issue.

As I said, this router used to not do this; it just started doing it recently. I've not changed the IOS, and my second 7206XVR, which is identical, does not exhibit this behavior.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? It's more of an annoyance than a problem, but I sure don't want to run into this on the CCIE Lab and not have a solution. Thanks.

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

It can be becouse of the boot variables..Maybe you can provide the output that you get.

thanks,

Reply to
kampioen07

Turns out, the boot image was missing from the bootflash: file system. No idea what happened to it, but I just copied from the working router to the defective one, and everything's good now. Thanks.

Reply to
ttripp

Just "by the way". If you choose you can just boot the IOS image without bothering to boot the "boot" image first. The boot image can be used to either do a tftp boot or to load a standard flash based image.

It's years since I have looked at this stuff but I think I may be correct:)

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.