Re:Budget CCIE LAB

Hi folks,

I am thinking of building a CCIE Home Lab.Can I get away with a 2950 and

3550 switch instead of two 3550,s.

Thanks,

Reply to
Tony
Loading thread data ...

I was asking myself the same question when I was preparing for the CCIE lab. After looking at how to do stuff, at the end, I've done some tradeoffs:

1) I had a small lab at home (just a few routers, 1 3550, 1 2950).

2) I rented some on-line lab (it was very cheap).

I didn't do the basics because I already had experience with cisco equipment so I did the following: I bougth the lab workbook and worked every lab on rented equipment; the next day I've tested stuff that were not clear to me on my home equipment. Doing that way, I've finished with labs in about 45 days (this was ok since I've worked every day for 8 hours and then working next 8 hours on my ccie).

After that I've took the cisco press lab book and did those 6 (or so) labs. That was it. It worked ;-).

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

Reply to
kianseng.goh

Hi there, thanks for your response. That is what I had on my mind. If I practise with one 3550 and one 2950 this may be enough. After all, the main difference between them is Layer 3 routing and probably not every feature of the 3550 is going to be covered by the R&S lab because of the Voice and Security tracks. After all, CCIE is about understanding techlology and ability to enter commands with of course planning....

I plan to take ATM online labs and fill any gaps by not having a second

Did you find the workbook very difficult if so which one did you use.

Best regards, Tony

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Tony

If you got that impression, than it was very very wrong. I believe that I got my ccie because of my experience and knowledge and every day working with cisco on complex stuff. Workbook was very nice and gave me "what I can expect on the exam" stuff. And made me type faster than before ;-).

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

Workbook that I've used was not very difficult, just had most of the stuff in one place. The real difficulty was in that cisco press lab book... the one that wrote that book really does not have anything else to do in his life ;-)

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

i'm sorry if i'm insulting you...(as english is not my first language)..applogize for that..

obviously, i do understand u need to have experienced before u can pass the lab.

but i actual question is: Hmm

does do> > > hi..

Reply to
kianseng.goh

none offense taken :-).

are u expecting in the

Lab workbook will get you experienced (if properly used) on how to configure 8 routers and 2 3550 switches in various ways. Nothing less, nothing more. If you want to become a real networking expert, then doing any lab workbooks or gaining any certificate won't help you to achieve that goal. CCIE (or any other cert) should not be a goal just by itself, it should be just a confirmation of your experience working with equipment.

If your only goal is to become "paper ccie", than just doing labs will be sufficient.

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.