2950 Error

Hi guys, i am having a connectivity problem with a 2950 switch, and it is showing the error below. i did an upgrade to an image that if working fine on other 2950s, and still having the same problem, after the upgrade the disconnectivity is getting more frequent,

SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5 SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5 SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5 SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5 SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5 SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5 SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

I am planning to change the image through Xmodem, eventhough i believe it might not solve the problem, i did my research and i found a lot of chinese and russian feedback, if anyone can help it would be great, thanks guys.

Reply to
Andy
Loading thread data ...

It seems to be an error occuring in the internal memory of the switching chip. IMHO, changing the IOS will not solve the problem, the hardware seems to be defective.

Reply to
Christophe Fillot

Hi again Andy,

SCHAN ERROR INTR: unit=0 SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

Is a well known issue to Cisco, please contact your local Cisco TAC Office:

formatting link
When you RMA your 2950 unit back to Cisco it will fail Cisco's SDRAM memory test.

---------------------------

CSCdv83336 Bug Details:

Under a certain level of traffic load, the switch will start logging the following messages on the console:

SCHAN ERROR INTR: SRC=6 DST=5 OPCODE=20 ERRCODE=5

And after a few seconds, the switch will stop passing any traffic.

In some cases, the switch seemed still forwarding broadcast and multicast traffic, which will cause STP problem if the switch has redundant link and is not supposed to be the root for the VLAN, as both port will go forwarding.

An assessment of the impact:

Unit stops passing any traffic.

The same error message has been identified in CSCdu87836.

Once more Andy, RMA your 2950 unit back to Cisco:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Thx guys, it might be a stupid question, can i change the SDRAM and would it solve the problem?

Reply to
Andy

I have never seen a purchasable SDRAM part for it.

Reply to
Rohan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.