2610 memory

I'm planing to upgrade the RAM in a 2610 router from 32+16=48MB to

64MB so I can load IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES BASIC.

According to Upgrading System Memory (etc) in Cisco 2600 Routers,

formatting link
router requires 5V DIMMs and, "It is critical that the correct voltage DRAM modules be installed in Cisco 2600 series routers. Using the incorrect memory causes the system to malfunction and may cause damage to the system board or memory card."

I was surprised to see that someone previously installed an incorrect

3.3V memory module in this router but the system runs fine. Please explain this apparent discrepancy between the documentation and what I found.

Will the system work with one 3.3V DIMM and one 5V DIMM?

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

One thing to consider (well I would:) is that some images will run with less memory that recommended.

It depends what you are doing of course but the recommended memory assumes dynamic routing protocols with fairly large topologies and routing tables etc.

It also allows for a large number of interfaces - physical and logical.

Especially if you are not using a large number of interfaces and have modest topologies and routing tables you may be able to get by with less.

If you do not have too many interfaces you can often reduce the "iomem percent".

You can work out if you can change the iomem percent from the sh mem output.

I have done this a few times.

If dynamips suppoted the 2610 (and it does seem to) you could try it out on your PC.

If you like post exactly what image you are planning on and I will try it out on dynamips and report.

Reply to
bod43

Routers,

formatting link
> this router requires 5V DIMMs and,

The image I intend to load is c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-26.bin. It supposedly requires a minimum of 64MB, which is the max memory that can be installed in this router.

Even if this image will run with only 48MB, I'm still wondering about the voltage level issue. My experience seems to prove that the warning in the "Upgrading System Memory ..." document is bogus. Since the writer was presumably trying to convey something meaningful, I'm guessing that he meant one cannot safely install 5V modules in a system that is designed for 3.3V memory but the reverse is ok. Can someone here confirm that this is true?

Reply to
Bob Simon

Sorry I cant assist with the hardware bit.

I have as suggested loaded the proposed image into dynamips.

Unfortunately it will never boot with 48M. Looks like it needs at least

54M (about).

(C2600-IK9O3S3-M), Version 12.3(26) cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x202) with 56320K/9216K bytes of memory.

Router>sh mem Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b) Largest(b) Processor 82AC0E80 13512744 5498496 8014248

7760168 6989088 I/O 3700000 9437184 1445976 7991208 7991208 7991164

Free memory is 8M processor memory and nearly 8M of IO memory.

memory-size iomem % is default 15% and can be reduced at best to 10% - so we can recover about 3M from there.

64 - 8 - 3 is greater than 48.

The end.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.