Ethernet WAN and not WAN.

Hi all,

could anyone of you explain me the difference? Is it simply that for first Ethernet authentication like CHAP, PAP and so on, don't apply? Or what?

My point of view is limited only to 831's model where for 12.4 IOS version Cisco explicitly tells the 2nd Ethernet port is not usable for WAN operations.

But know I must decide which module to buy for a 3640 that needs a 2nd Ethernet port that must be connected to a 350 bridge connected to a 4Mbits/s wireless connection. Do I need a WAN module for

3640 or not?

Thanks,

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

OK, here is the deal: Years ago, Cisco created a special interface slot called a "WIC" for "Wan interface Cards" like T1, or ISDN, or ~4mbit serial. This was used on the likes of the 800 and 1700 series, and in carrier cards for ther 2600 and 3600 series.

The WIC cards could be either as a 5-in-1 serial port, a T1 CSU/DSU, or an ISDN S/T interface.

Now, SOME later platforms (the 1700 series) have a special "High speed" WIC slot interface that could accomodate an Ethernet card. This was a useful way to add an extra ethernet port. The higher speed WIC interface got the unlikley name "Ethernet WAN." It was mainly intended for downstream PPPOE/DSL or Cable modem uplinks.

The data sheet for the WIC-1ENET is:

formatting link
So the Ethernet WIC modules will only work in high speed WIC slots that support Ethernet.

A 3640 WIC slot will only run non-ethernet WIC cards.

So, You need to add one of the NM series ethernet interfaces. A WIC-1ENET will not work in a 3640.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.