Thread topic: Difficulty "toning" for ports on gig switch

x-posted to the cabling newsgroup in response to the Difficulty "toning" for ports on gig switch thread: comp.dcom.sys.cisco comp.dcom.cabling alt.binaries.schematics.electronic as a tech tip

Phil Schuman wrote: > My technicians have reported difficulty using any of several toner/wand > sets trying to find ports on Cisco gig switches. It seems that the > tone becomes inaudible, or shunts/dies after a few seconds. However, > if they use the 'toner' function from one of the Fluke meters, they can. >

Some of the blades are VOIP-capable, although we're not using them for > that at this point. Others aren't, but are gig-capable blades. Or > could it have something to do with the power behind the tone being less > coming from the 9V battery toner, instead of the Fluke meter?

Trying to use a toner and wand to find the radiated tone from the toner is problematic with CAT5, and much more with CAT6. Here's what I just showed a new tech on the ways to find the tones.

1) Run the wand up and down the cable for at least a foot and you'll find the sweet spots where the tone radiates out.

2) If toning out an unterminated cable coming out of the wall where the

8-pin connector is not yet attached, place the toner's clips on white/orange and and white/brown conductors as they have the less number of twists. wht/blu-blu/wht 23 twists per inch wht/org-org/wht 14 twists per inch wht/grn-grn/wht 21 twists per inch wht/brn-brn/wht 16 twists per inch

3) If the wall jack is already attached, use an adapter cable with the toner. Adapter cable for toner: | Adapter Cable Assy | Toner's RJ-11 RJ-11 jack 8-conn plug wall jack wht/blu ------[--------]-----wht/org-----pin-1 blu/wht ------[--------]-----wht/org-----pin-3

4) If there is a patch cord hanging out of the jack, use a 8-conn jack back to back adapter and the above adapter cable

5) If trying to trace it above the ceiling tiles or in a wall, strip back the white/orange and orange/white pairs and twist the together, then put clip on the bare wire twist and other clip on an electrical wall outlet screw (if its in metallic conduit).

6) Cool tip - some routers and web cams require a cross-over cable to connect your laptop to them, but if the cam is on the roof - use a cross-over adapter in the equipment room. Build two 8-conn jacks and wire one as 568A and the other as a 568B wit a foot of cable connecting the two jacks. Also good for connecting two computers together when you don't have a cross-over cable handy.
Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy
Loading thread data ...

CAT5 cable is harder to tone than CAT3, etc....

What I do is use an adapter that brings out the pairs; and put the tone across a split pair: ie one side on W/BL; the other on OR/W...

Reply to
David Lesher

My bad..I forgot to add that the adapter pulls out the white/orange and white/brown leads. And for some serious toning out, clip one lead of the toner to the white/brown & brown/white pairs and the other lead to an earth ground - like the screw on an electrical outlet (assumign the outlet is metallic to ground...and you can hear it trace through the ceiling tiles and dry wall.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.