30 meter IEEE 1394 Firewire cable

Hi All,

I have a Firewire device that I need to access over 30 meters of sheilded twisted pair (STP) cable. Yes, I know this isn't even close to spec, but I only need about 2Mbps data transfer rate.

Option 1 - Since I haven't found any cabling kits like there are for ethernet plugs, I am going to have to solder the conductors inline at each end from a salvaged FW cable.

Option 2 - Use an interface converter at each end that will reliably transfer over 30m of solid core copper cable at 2Mbps minimum.

Option 3 - ???

Any thoughts or suggestions on the subject?

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
gaudetteje
Loading thread data ...

Google for "firewire extender" gets lots of hits.

Reply to
Al Dykes

True, I do get lots of hits, however they are mainly 15ft. cables that can be grouped together, or a more attractive fiber optic link.

The problem, however, is that I'm stuck with this 30m STP cable and need a protocol that will work at the data rate I need.

-Jas> > >Hi All,

Reply to
gaudetteje

Check out Black Box out of PA. Much of their stuff is rebranded and some of it over priced but at one time they had a widget to convert / extend almost anything to anything. I always start there when looking for something like what you need.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.