D-Link DWL-G122 USB adapter doesn't work after reinstalling Win XP, help please?

My friend re-intalled Windows XP on his Compaq PC. But the D-Link DWL-G122 USB adapter refused to connect to a wireless router. It seemingly have found the wireless network but when I put the key (password), a pop-up windows warned it only accepted 5 or 10 characters. So I put the first 5 letters of the password. It was accepted but unavailable to connect to the wireless network.

I put it on my PC for a test. The USB adapter is working. It actually worked before on my friend PC. But things is going really mess now. I supposed that the install procedure was wrong. So I deleted the driver and device from hardware management, rebooted. Then I installed the driver and shuted down, plug it in and restart. The same problem again. It's end up with connection 9.

I don't think it's hardware problem, it could be driver's problem. But the driver was provided with the device together and was working before.

Didn't speak to DLink help line because I tried once and could't go through.

Any ideas please. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Sunnyrain
Loading thread data ...

No, I don't think so.

The message warned me to put the password either in hex or in ASCII. Because I chose PSK string as the key (password) for my wireless network. (to be honest, different formats just confused me).

Reply to
Sunnyrain
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Are you trying to put a hex password into an ASCII field?

Reply to
John Navas

tks peter. it makes sense. I am thinking the same that somewhere in pc caused to the problem. Obviously, the adapter is working. My friend didn't install all drivers from driver CD, instead he downloaded on HP-compaq web site (his pc is Compaq 4400).

Peter how do I know if a VIA chipset is involved?

Thank you.

Reply to
Sunnyrain

It may be worthwhile to check the USB port drivers and not the WiFi part. If there is a VIA chipset involved for the USB, then do a google and get the latest relevant VIA USB chipset driver. I have had real odd wifi problems with USB adaptors that have shown to be the VIA chipset driver in XP and on HP/Compaq machines. Not exactly an unknown problem but really confusing. Peter

Reply to
Pierre

Usually looking at the Device Manager and checking the hardware types and driver set, in this case, the USB things. If your friend has downloaded from the HP/Compaq site, then it is a fair bet that he will have the updated driver installed anyway. While usually not a problem, it may also pay to check the USB cable as there are quite a few that are not up to spec. Not only can there be length issues but often the actual cable itself conductors are smaller than they should be and result in voltage and signal loss despite being within the length specification. USB WiFi devices do draw a bit of current and if the port of the cable does not deliver correctly, weird problems can ensue. There is still the possibility of a software/firmware problem. Peter

Reply to
Pierre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.