[telecom] suggestions for a decent DECT wireless system, but...

... but ... with one key requirement.

Most of today's cordless DECT phones seem to be decent enough in regards to current low expectations of voice quality, but they all seem to share one major deficiency.

I've been using an acceptable Uniden multi handset system (actually two of them in the same home) but I've gotten really, really, pissed at the miserable proprietary battery packs.

Any suggestions for a decent system using standard AA or AAA cells so I can swap in relatively cheap new NiMHs when needed?

Oh, and a decent lifetime when charged would be nice, too. I can go for most of a work week with my Omnipoint GSM phone between charges; surely someone has a cordless that matches it.

Thanks

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

***** Moderator's Note *****

I have a Panasonic cordless setup; the battery life is excellent. It's no longer made, but you can check out their current models.

BTW, don't forget that 2.5GHz phones share the same band as 802.11B and 802.11G wireless routers, and they will interfere with each other. I bought the 5.8GHz model to avoid the problem.

Bill Horne

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

I just replaced my battery-depleted Sony cordless phones (non-replacable batteries) with two Panasonics from Amazon.com. These new phones use rechargeable AAA MiMH batteries (customer replacable). 60 duplex channels in frequency range of 1.92 to 1.93 GHz. (new one for me)

Built-in answering machine, which I will never use. Handset speaker phone.

Model KX-TG1031.

Best I've ever had.

The only gripe I have is turning the ringer on and off requires a couple of confusing menu selections.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Well, as long as we are griping, my biggest problem with residential cordless phones is their current size. What seemed to start out with one country's fascination with all thing microsized has been amplified by a desire to mimic cell phone dimensions.

It would be nice if phone manufacturers did a little human factors analysis of their designs...

Reply to
Robert Neville

My new handsets are 6.5 inches long by 1.5 inches wide. That's not quite cell phone size.

Reply to
Sam Spade

OK, slight exageration for effect. That said, I have seen cell size home phones. In my mind, the perfect size handset was the Trimline. Not so hot from a usability standpoint, as you had to take it away from your ear to key a response to an IVR prompt.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.