Voice Line Needed?

Hey all.....

I'm thinking about getting SBC DSL, but I had my voice line turned off years ago, and use my mobile phone exclusively for voice.

I went to the SBC signup site, but I don't have a phone number to enter on the form. (Entering a neighbors phone # confirms DSL is available in my neighborhood, though).

Do I have to get a phone number before I can get DSL?

Also, assuming I ever do get DSL, I noticed that they have an option for self install of the modem, which is what I will do. But I'm a bit confused on this.... as I would have thought doing this would require me to open up the telco side of the NIB... yes?

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Thanks Mucho, Bert!

Reply to
Matt

I must have been thinking about ISDN or something.... for some reason I was picturing a modem with about 3 twisted pairs hooked to it.... I had no idea DSL simply plugged into the existing voice lines. That's pretty cool, especially since at one point I had the telco replace the service line to my house. and I've rewired all my jacks using cat5e.

Reply to
Matt

Well, it's a done deal. Around $100/month got me a home phone #, Dynamic IP DSL "Pro" package, and.... they also hornswaggled me into getting DISH TV. I probably could of got a better deal, but I'm one of those sad souls who can't negotiate or say no to a pretty voice.

But, up until last month I had been paying DirectTV for Satellite inet and TV; around $150/month, so I don't feel so bad.

Reply to
Matt

Yes, SBC and _some_ other DSL providers require that you have their phone service. Other DSL providers will give you DSL without requiring you to sign up for phone service.

In most cases, they will provide a minimal phone service on the less than $10 per month level.

Reply to
Kay Archer

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (Matt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

That's a matter of policy. Around here, Qwest offers "naked DSL" which doesn't require you to have regular voice phone service.

If SBC offers the service in your area, the Web site is probably designed to handle only the normal case, and you'll have to talk to a real person to get DSL.

In most DSL installations, especially self-installs, the DSL box simply plugs into any available phone jack.

If you had a phone connected to that jack, you can then plug it into another jack on the DSL box itself. Then you'll have to plug a filter in the line to every other phone in the house. Since you're not using voice service, you won't have to bother with that.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I have never seen a DSL modem with a jack for telephone equipment. All the newer DSL equipment I've seen issued by SBC looks similar to my old Westell Wirespeed: Ethernet jack, modular telephone (RJ-11) jack, power supply jack. The modem plugs directly into the premises network, but all other POTS equipment (including satellite and cable boxes) has to have filters installed. Filters come with the self-install kit.

Reply to
NormanM

snipped-for-privacy@blackhole.invalid (NormanM) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sf.sbcglobal.net:

I've used Cisco 675 & 678 and Actiontec 1524 and GT701, all of which have a pass-through phone jack. Oddly though, the 678 still required a filter on any phone connected to that jack.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Currently, SBC requires a POTS line for DSL. You can try signing up for the lowest cost minimal service phone line. Expect the sales people to try talking you into something fancier.

The package will come with several filters (microfilters). You plug a filter into the phone jack, and your phone into the filter.

You plug your modem into a different phone jack (no filter).

That's all it takes for self-install.

It actually is better, particularly if you are some distance from the CO (central office), to install a splitter in the NID. But that only requires opening the customer side of the NID.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

The currently (Feb 2005) shipping HomePortal/2Wire modems have 4 ethernet ports (in addition to the 802.11g support).

Reply to
Kay Archer

I did warn you not to be talked into an expensive package.

Actually, I hear that DISH is a pretty good deal.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Bert Hyman says that he has had equipment with a telco passthrough, and it is entirely possible that newer equipment does so. I have never seen it, and am not sure that it is even necessary. Only the Cayman router left by the SBC/ASI tech had more ports; four Ethernet ports on the router side of the equipment. Still only the Ethernet, telephone, and power supply jacks on the modem side.

Reply to
NormanM

snipped-for-privacy@blackhole.invalid (NormanM) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sf.sbcglobal.net:

Depends on how your system is laid out, I suppose. Since my router used to sit on my desk in the den, plugged into the phone jack where my desk phone used to go, having the pass-through jack was quite useful to me. My new Actiontec GT701 router sits on the equipment shelf behind the stereo/video equipment and occupies the phone jack that my Dish Network satellite receiver should connect to; the Dish receiver is now connected to the GT701's pass-through jack.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Hey all.

Just wanted to update ya.

Got the modem tonight.... plugged it in, ran the software.

And to my complete surprise and utter amazement - EVERYTHING WORKED on the first try.

I was even able to configure some port settings in the router.

I am in complete amazement, as this is the FIRST TIME in 25 years of working with HW/SW that something commercially available worked the first time, and was more or less idiot proof.

So, thanks everyone.

And if anyone from SWBell or whoever put this package together -

Good job, thumbs way up.

Reply to
Matt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.