Google Voice

Nick,

A while back you mention here on ASA about using Google Voice for text messages with some system you were working on. That got me to thinking. Yes, it is dangerous to a point.

Presently I have a Voice Mail system that when a message is left in my box, sales or service box it will dial out and send signal is a numeric DTMF format to my pager. I then get the page and know what Voice Mail I need to check on. Works great and I get the page between 1 and 2 minutes of a message be left.

What I want to do (if possible) is to get rid of the pager. I have set up a Google Voice local number. I can get my Voice Mail to call that number but can't get Google Voice to understand the DTMF in order to get a text message.

Also at this point I can't get my Voice Mail to send a audible English message to a dialed out number. If I could this would be simple.

So...................... Do you have any tricks up your sleeve that might help??

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

I am working on that one will let you know if i am sucessful

Reply to
nick markowitz

Thanks, I am still searching as well. I will share what I find as well. Have a good week.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Guys,

Use a combination of GV and Gmail's powerful filtering.

Also, send SMS to your phone based on conditions. To lose the pager. Send yourself a SMS either directly snipped-for-privacy@messaging.yourcellcompany.invalid or use the email forwarding feature in Gmail's settings to forward the alert to your phone.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You make it sound so simple..............

Please help me understand how I can get my Vodavi Dispatch Voice Mail to dial snipped-for-privacy@messaging.yourcellcompany.invalid??

If I had that ability my problem is solved.

If I could some how get GV to accept and understand DTMF my problem is solved.

It really comes down to trying to get the old technology to talk to the new technology. It is not always that simple. Although it should be. That is unless I am missing something. Please advise.

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Do you have a link to the "Vodavi Dispatch Voice Mail" manual?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have the manual in hardcopy. Necessary thing to have. However I did a search and found it here:

formatting link
Let me know what you find. Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Page 181 looks interesting. I wonder if you can adjust the DTMF length.

Also, is there an option besides paging? Can you switch to voice notifications?

Worse comes to worse, you can interface with it via RS232 and watch for a series that triggers a text to your phone (via email).

Where can I D/L a copy of this? It looks 1995ish.

Reply to
G. Morgan

By 181 I assume you mean 600-56. Not sure how making DTMF longer is going to help if GV won't accept it.

I checked on that a number of years ago and the answer was that this phone system won't allow that to happen. Would have to upgrade to something newer. I did not persue it any further.

Thats spooky. Still not thinking how that would be possible..............

You just did. It is a .pdf. Just save to a folder.

Again thanks for thinking about this.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

By parsing the data and looking for certain "strings" that cause an action. Have you ever used "Terminal" in windows to watch raw data on an RS232/485 line (access control)?

When the string is seen, the script will generate an email and/or email to text.

No, I mean the actual program itself, so I can install it in a sandbox and play with it.

Sure. I love shit like this. If we can figure this out it would make a lot of G-Voice user happy.

Might have to get all fancy with these:

formatting link
Does your system allow you to dial a different number based on which mailbox has v-mail? Could you program 4 separate numbers?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Graham,

I have not used terminal to view the data but I know what you are talking about. Actually in DL900 there is a diagnostic menu selection that does just that when doing a DL of a Caddx panel.

The software is a bit on the strange side. If it is not connected and the time of startup to the Dispatch VM you can't go much more past the setup screen. When it is connected it will auto download the data and open screens to allow you to make changes. When you make a change and exit that portion it auto writes that data back to the Dispatch VM. So with out a Dispatch VM box I am not sure you will get very far even if you had the software.

For each mail box I can enter a separate number with a could of ,,, pauses for delay and then digits to send. Presently I have 3 mail boxes that all dial my pager number and then send the mail box number. 12 - 13 - 14.

I then have a speed dial set up in my cellphone to dial back and get to the mail box and enter pass code and retrieve the message. Which make little difference in this discussion.

I will look for the software and see if I can get it or have it.

Thanks again.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I wanted to look in the 'registry' to see if there is a tone-length adjustment. Many of the complaints about GV not getting DTMF right have to do with cell phones that just do a short-burst tone.

I'm thinking about modernizing the system with a little hack. If you intercept the data on the bus (probably unencrypted), and figure out which string is outputted when the paging is in process. Windows Powershell can access the stream (actually it's a file updated very quickly) and parse it for the strings. At that point you have control to do all kinds of "computer stuff" with the data (email, SMS).

Commercial S/W would make things cleaner.

formatting link

What about other users of the system, don't they get to put a separate pager number in for out-of-office notifications-- or whah ??

Alrighty.

In the meantime you can download Putty for a terminal,

formatting link
Get it set up right, and you should be able to tap right in there with a serial cable and start watching the traffic right away.

Reply to
G. Morgan

">>I will look for the software and see if I can get it or have it.

Graham,

I believe I have for which you seek. Now the question is how do I get it into your hands??

It is of email size. Please advise.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

If it's on a 3 1/2" floppy (and you have the drive) just put the disk in and goto Start --> Computer : dbl. clk. the A: drive, now select "all" , rt, clk, select "add to .zip" or something like that. I use WinRar, so you can send it in any archive container.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Graham,

I have it in a zip file. Turned out smaller than I expected. The problem is I don't have a "archive container" as you say to put it in for pick up. I do however have a dropbox account. I can put it there but will need a way to invite you to pick up.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

If it's on a 3 1/2" floppy (and you have the drive) just put the disk in and goto Start --> Computer : dbl. clk. the A: drive, now select "all" , rt, clk, select "add to .zip" or something like that. I use WinRar, so you can send it in any archive container.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why dont you use something like dropbox.com, very easy to share stuff with fellow on the net..

open an account and share the user password with the one you want to share with, 2 gig is way enough, heck we could have one for the group.

Reply to
<petem001

"ABLE1" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : DXqZo.132899$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-16.dc.easynews.com...

Graham,

I have it in a zip file. Turned out smaller than I expected. The problem is I don't have a "archive container" as you say to put it in for pick up. I do however have a dropbox account. I can put it there but will need a way to invite you to pick up.

Les

---------------------------------------------------------------------

damn! you allready have it!! LOL

Reply to
<petem001

A zip file is a container file. Just email it to me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com or U/L it to yousendit.com or any one of these:

formatting link
If you use an upload x-fer service just email with the link it created for the file.

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link

Thanks for that. You should have the file.

Let me know.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Graham,

Your email bounced back??

formatting link
Try the link and tell me if it works.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.