Help needed differentiating email, texting and SMS [Telecom]

Last year Silicon Valley (aka Santa Clara County in California) setup a county-wide emergency alert system based on the Blackboard Connect platform used by many cities, universities and schools which broadcasts email and telephone voice messages systemwide per:

Palo Alto was the last city to join the program last month after abandoning their proprietary Community Alerting and Notification System (CANS).

Santa Clara County's info page is .

Palo Alto's info page is here:

where they tout SMS messaging. There wasn't much fanfare in the local media and several Palo Alto friends asked me for some help regarding signing up for the new program because there's some confusion as to what constitutes SMS messaging for those of us who've never done any texting. Ever.

This page:

confused them and me with comments like:

1. For most consumers, the SMS phone number is simply their mobile phone number.

1. A short code is essentially a mobile telephone number that, being significantly shorter than an average number (typically 4 to 6 digits in length), is designed to be easier to remember.

and no indication how a "short code" is assigned and actually used and/or whether it's even relevant for this alert application.

Here's the problem.

The signup form for AlertSCC has these entry boxes, examples, and comments (among others such as name, address, etc.):

[ Primary E-mail Address ] Example: snipped-for-privacy@domain.com [ Secondary E-mail Address ] [ Primary Phone Number ] Example: 555-555-5555 [ Secondary Phone Number ] [ TTY Phone Number (default N/A) ]

SMS phone number will only be used for text messsaging. [ SMS phone number ]

The question asked of me (for which I'm not sure of the answer) is where does one put the contact address or number of their cell phone?

I looked back at what I entered for myself for my town last year and noticed I did this:

my main real email address entered as "Primary E-mail",

"cellphone#@txt.att.net" entered as "Secondary E-mail",

and nothing for the "SMS phone number"

I know for a fact my phone receives email sent to the "cellphone#@txt.att.net" address, but what is this method termed? Is it SMS or simply email?

For the moment I advised my friends to do what I did and enter the email address of their cell phone as a secondary E-mail address and leave the SMS entry box blank; the data can always be easily changed/edited later.

Confusion arises due to email arriving on the cellphones being termed "messages" and not specifically "email".

Arrgh. :-)

An anciliary question: HOW can they send 100000s of voice mail and email alerts in the supposedly rapid time frame required by an emergency alert system such as Blackboard's? Is there some special capability of landline COs and cellphone equivalents to handle such massive calling?

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

As ever, "that depends" -- does it come through with all characters that were beyond the first 150 or so truncated away?

If so, that was SMS.

Does it come through in its entirety (except perhaps missing some graphics components)? If so, that was probably *either* MMS or real email.

My own handsets segregate inbound messages into separate IN-boxes, one for SMS items, one for MMS items. (They don't "do" email.)

(MMS = "MultimediaMessageService", SMS = "ShortMessageService".)

In T-Mobile's service, I have yet to come up with any reliable criterion for determining whether an email addressed to my "cellphone#@tmomail.net" gets delivered to me as an SMS or an MMS at the handset -- I've received emails either way, at different times, with neither rhyme nor reason (nor even T-Mo CS) able to provide any clue as to why :-) .

I can imagine that a suitably set up Blackberry will receive an email simply as an email.

HTH; and cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

Amazing. I just sent a 5-line email to it alternating between "Now is the time ..." and "The quick brown fox ..." (each line is 69 characters long) and all 350 characters arrived albeit split into "pages". I thought there was a limit, perhaps not. Maybe it was my Nokia 6162i that had a limit with its "text messages" (no "SMS" is its manual and no way to test (today)).

'Sfunny, I posted URLs to pictures of all my cellphones since

1992 in a Yahoo photo group earlier today since we were discussing equipment lifetime re: Motorola MicroTAC Lite, Nokia 6162i, RAZR V3:

top views side views bought last month

The Nokia was dual mode TDMA and AMPS and the RAZR V3 is GSM, and my cellphone carrier account is grandfathered all the way from the original Cellular One through Cingular to today's AT&T Mobility.

Interesting. The RAZR V3 manual is poorly written and extremely lacking examples and definitions. Since I only need a *PHONE* it works fine for me and the fact it can receive email is a plus but I'm not sure it's working with the AlertSCC service since I never received a "test message" from them last year. Perhaps I should ask them to do so for me and for the several friends in Palo Alto I'm helping to assure all is setup correctly.

Hah hah! You should try dealing with AT&T Mobility. Though their service works fine for me, their support people (even in the local store) are about as clueless as a rock.

Thanks for your reply! Since 2004 I've been assuming my RAZR could only receive up to 140 or so chars via email and now, after testing per your implied suggestion, I now know different.

I still don't know if the RAZR can do SMS or not, and what's really odd is that after the email test the "GPRS" icon went away; it appeared for the first time ever about a month ago and I have no idea why, the manual isn't clear about GPRS, and there are no explicit commands on the RAZR to enable/disable GPRS.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Interesting. That 5-line email you sent ... was plain-text ASCII only? Or mail that got itself HTML-formatted?

If the former, then YES, perhaps, the at&t email-to-xMS gateway may well have converted it to "multi-page" SMS. I suspect that if the latter, instead, or an e-mail with an image (.jpg, .wbmp, etc.) attached or embedded, that gateway would convert it to MMS for transmission to your phone (particularly if the RAZR V3).

Test? Come up with a test message of, say, 1000 characters or so, HTML-formatted. Send it to your phone once as HTML-formatted mail, and another time in purely ASCII-only "plain-text" mode (let the Subject lines distinguish between them). How do these arrive?

Looking not at a RAZR V3 but at the more or less contemporaneous SLVR L2, I see that under Messaging I can either Create Message -- which then lets me choose among New Text Msg, New Multimedia Msg, or Multimedia Template (I guess the former is for SMS, the latter two, MMS) -- or see my Inbox, which I guess accepts messages of both sorts.

Nokia 6610, OTOH, at least as branded for T-Mo, has separate Inboxen for SMS and for MMS.

"do" = "send"? Almost surely yes. Messaging | Create Message , and then see above; Finally, there should be a set of Send To options, ranging from a number in your phone book, through a New Number (both for SMS), to a New Email Address (that will have to go through at&t's standard SMS/MMS-to-email gateway, about which all I know is that the standard

*T-Mobile* SMS-to-email gateway is the T-Mobile short-code number 500).

On T-Mobile's service, the GPRS flag appears only intermittently, generally when a GPRS connection first becomes active. Starting a WAP connection through either the built-in WAP browser or the add-on Opera Mini browser generally raises that GPRS flag, and after the page selected has been loaded for a minute or so, that flag evaporates again, not to reappear until I start to load another WML page.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.