static on ATT uverse dsl landline

Hi

I recently got ATT uverse dsl and kept my landline, also with ATT. It worked fine and then static began to appear on the phone. I have the filters installed correctly and have swapped filters to check those. I have also tested out another phone, with no effect on the static.

Sometimes when I pick up the phone, there is a loud buzz on it, but if I hang up and then call my phone with a cell phone and answer it, the buzz disappears, but the static is there.

I'm going to either:

1. drop the landline and use a cell
  2. test out vonage and drop the landline
  3. change to uverse fiber optic phone

In the meantime, any sugggestions to clear up the static? The internet modem works fine. Also, before I had uverse, I had ATT 780kpbs low level dsl and no static on the landline. Only after I upgraded with the new uverse router did the static begin, and it developed after a week or so.

thx,

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee
Loading thread data ...

Call AT&T Uverse technical repair and explain the problem. The individual filters aren't always adequate. AT&T can install a whole house filter in the grey box that serves as the network interface. Typical inside wire is two pair. The first pair can be used for your ordinary telephones and will be behind the filter. The second pair bypasses the filter. A jack with the second pair (connected to the first pair prongs inside the jack) can be installed near the DSL device.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

While they may be on the same copper pair, Uverse internet (and TV) and analog voice services are managed and billed separately by ATT. I suggest you call the service number on your analog phone bill and start a ticket for your problem. Make sure ATT properly tests the line and ensure they can test to see if it's your equipment or wiring or in their system. Your interface box should allow them to isolate your inside wiring and equipment from their line. If you pay for inside wiring service, then they can fix that if that's the source. Based on your post, it sounds like it's their issue, not yours. You could unplug all handsets and plug them in one at a time to see if any is the source of the noise.

They may have put your analog voice phone on a different copper pair when Uverse was installed and is the source of the noise.

Gary E

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein

I see nothing on your list that includes complaining to the people who provide your service.

You're paying for it, aren't you?

Reply to
Bert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.