How to determine exactly how far/long the phone line is between home/locations and COs are for DSL?

Hello.

Is there a way to determine how far/long the phone line is between homes/locations and COs for DSL?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

You can determine the prem location to CO distance, but that isn't going to do you much good. Most DSL is served off of remote DSLAMs out in the field. These could service areas as small as 4 square blocks, or as large as 4-8 square miles.

The data on where the remote DSLAMs are is usually held as proprietary by the telcos, and even if you did know where they are, you wouldn't know which one you are served out of.

Even so, it doesn't give you much, as I'm within walking distance of 3 remote DSLAMs near my house, but yet the best the telco would give me is 1.5Mbps because they don't feed them with anything better than IMA-T1.

If you want to map out the CO, there is lots of data online. The best site is probably

formatting link
Plug in your NPA-NXX, and you'll get the latitude and longitude of the CO (probably converted from the published H&V).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Didn't DSLReports or some other web site have an estimater on how far the lines were from an address and/or phone number?

Reply to
Ant

They mapped the CO and your house based off info like I mention above. It was very simple.

That tool was developed back when CO DSLAMs were mainly the DSL distribution. But now, it is mostly remote DSLAMs out in the field, and their tool didn't know about remote DSLAMs at all.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Ah, interesting. Bummer that we can't find out online. :(

Reply to
Ant

"Most"? I welcome a citation of same. Deployment of SLC's{really DLC}, esp. those with DSLAMs, varies widely between LEC's and even areas of a LEC. What is true here is not there.

To address the original question... You can tell exactly, provided you are the telco dude with a TDR, or similar test gear......

Reply to
David Lesher

Okay, in my area, most remote DSLAMs aren't in DLC cabinets. They installed new remote environmental cabinets in hundreds of locations where DLCs were not deployed just to extend the reach of the DSLAMs. Sure, sometimes they share (especially in the more rural areas), but it isn't common in my area.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.