ATT DSL Blocking Torrents?

Hi,

If I am using a torrent downloading program like Bitlord and I set up my router to forward the ports like the programs tell me, I completely lose my internet connection after about 15 min or so.

If I do not forward ports, it runs fine, although not very fast.

Anyone having torrent problems with ATT DSL? Is there someting with the fact that the port(s) are forwarded?

Thanks

Reply to
Blackadder III
Loading thread data ...

Blackadder III wrote in part:

I suspect with the port fwding, you are being hammered by too many requests.

On any TCP link, it is extremely important that the upload not get fully saturated because ACKs may not get through, slowing the download. (TCP capture effect).

This can easily happen with p2p filesharing software, and the solution is to throttle them. Competent writers of p2p software are well aware of this and have settings to avoid using too much of the limited upstream bandwidth. If they don't, they should not be used.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Is this just a matter of limiting total uploading allowances (like

20kbs or so) or is it related to something else?
Reply to
Blackadder III

No, that should do it. You don't need to throttle too hard (unless there are multiple stations), but there is a world of difference between 90% and 100% loaded. 90% lets ACKs get through, 100% means they get delayed/dropped. So if you have 256kb upload, then you're fine to use 200 or even 230.

If that doesn't work, you have some other trouble. Perhaps a virus on your machine.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.