IDSL & IDSN = Why so expensive?

I hope this is the proper place to ask (I am in Verizon's territory).

Since I cannot get DSL from Verizon, Speakeasy, Covad, etc. due to long distance (20K ft.)., I was told about IDSL and IDSN services. How come these slower broadband services are way more expensive (e.g., 115 bucks per year for IDSL and 144 Kb/sec speeds) compared to cable, satellite Internet services (slow too and excluding setup prices!), and ADSL? I would expect slower speeds to be cheaper or same prices.

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

technology. It costs

would have to be

costs the ISP

All true, but for me they just used one of my unused phone lines.

Ant, check with speakeasy.net. They may can give you a better price than V. Good luck!

Kind regards

dj

Reply to
dj

snipped-for-privacy@zimage.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mminternet.net:

115 bucks per YEAR? That doesn't sound very expensive to me, that's cheaper than dial-up. I'm guessing you mean 115 bucks per MONTH. ISDN has always been expensive and I think IDSL has kept up the tradition. It's probably a case of supply and demand, not much demand so those who do demand ISDN/IDSL get charged more. One of the switches I work in has the capacity to handle 70,000 POTS lines and 2,000 IDSN lines and it's capacities has never been reduced (any ISDN or POTS equipment that was added to the switch has never been removed).
Reply to
Some One

IDSL is basically ISDN signal rates, using 2B1Q encoding, using DSL technology. It costs more because it does NOT co-exist with a POTS line and therefore a new line would have to be run. Additionally it is more because it is not as commonly deployed and thus costs the ISP more to provide. It is also symmetrical so the upload speed is the same as the download speed. I believe the highest you can get is 144kb/s upload and download speeds.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

As others have pointed out, IDSL is a digital connection using ISDN signaling (2B1Q) to reach the subscriber. It has all the capabilities and limitations of ISDN. That is, it *is* compatible with SLC systems such as SLC-96 and Series 5 SLC as well as Litespan 2000.

Regular DSL is incompatible with these technologies unless the Remote Terminal is upgraded to specifically support DSL. ISDN can be delivered almost anywhere. There is even special loop electronics that cal push the signal out over 30,000ft (Total Reach ISDN). I've installed a couple of these units, some for regular dialup ISDN and one for a CLEC for ISDL.

Because of your distance from the Central Office, you are probably served out of some Remote Terminal system. The limited copper that may also be feeding your area is probably loaded cable (given the distance) and also not usable for DSL.

Because ISDN and IDSL use special plugin units in the SLC/Litespan systems they require more "engineering" in deployment. This results in a higher cost per month to the CLEC for the loop.

Also, ISDL is usually a Business class offering from the CLEC. So you are paying business rates for the service. The CLEC's charge businesses more because they can.

A few years ago, the CLEC DSL providers were actively going after the residential market. They quickly found out that this was a losing proposition and they were not really making any money at $40/month (the going rate at the time). They just as quickly got *out* of the

*residential* DSL market. Almost all that is left is business level DSL (even in your house, you just pay more - that's all).
Reply to
John P. Dearing

Oops! I meant to say per YEAR. Sorry about that! Dang, too expensive. Grr.

Reply to
ANTant

OK is it per YEAR or per MONTH !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Crap, per month! Sorry again.

[notes to himself not to post on newsgroups so late at nights]
Reply to
ANTant

A1) Because they can...

A2) Because the facilities are dedicated all the way back to the ISP.

Now, I used dialup ISDN for years -- just my calls tended to last

500-1000 hours and Ma musta hated it....
Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.