SBC DSL..not PPPOE but dynamic IP?

Hi,

SBC yahoo DSL, Speedstream 5100, Dlink POS DI 614+. I recently flashed the firmware on the DLink in hopes of curing some wifi problems, doing so reverted to factory settings. Here's the odd thing - even though it is now set to Dynamic IP rather than PPPoE, it still works, even across powerdowns of both. Why is this? Is the speedstream caching the PPPoE info someplace?

It's working so I dont want to break it but I have a feeling sooner or later it may stop..

Thanks Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Judge
Loading thread data ...

Yep. I ran into exactly the same thing last night. If you dive into the web config on your DI-614+, and check the "status" page, you'll find that the WAN IP's are 192.168.0.xxx which is coming from the Speedstream 5100.

To fix the problem, disconnect the DI-614+ temporarily and plug the computer direction into the Speedstream 5100. Reboot or whatever until it connects again to the internet. Then, point your web browser to: http://192.168.0.1 You should get a menu that looks like:

formatting link
can reset the modem to defaults on the "Reset" page. Then, go to the PPP Location page:
formatting link
select "Bridged Mode".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Somewhere around Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:27:43 -0800, while reading ba.internet, I think I thought I saw this post from Jeff Liebermann :

I ran into that a while back and asked about it here, too. The person I was helping was having occasional problems that seemed to be related to the Linksys router. He could bypass the router and it would work. Then, I'd go over, reconnect the router, and it worked fine. So, I've never actually seen it fail. I suggested that next time, he recycle the power on the router, and that seems to work for him. I also replaced a cable from the router to the modem.

So, I'm wondering now about "fixing the problem". Is the router better at PPPoe than the modem? Or is it just that it's easier to get to the router?

Reply to
Marty

When I first started playing with the installation, I managed to dig out the one and only intermittent telco cable in my junk box. 30 minutes later, I figured out why the connection kept dropping. Argh.

I don't see any big difference between having the 5100b modem or the router do the PPPoE login. SBC's authentication servers will screw up regularly no matter which device is being used.

However, when you enable PPPoE login in the modem, you also get NAT enabled at the same time. That means you can run without a router and connect multiple PC's to the modem. I never bothered to check if the

5100b turns off the DHCP server and disables NAT if I set the 5100b to the bridge mode.
formatting link
's one of the bottom settings. I did a grand reset followed by setting bridging mode. I didn't touch anything on the configuration page.

Given the choice of running a real router versus whatever is inside the modem, I would take the real router. That's because I use port forwarding, port triggering, DDNS, SPI, IPSec VPN, QoS, and all the other wiz-bang features found in routers, but not in the Efficient

5100b modem.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is the Original Poster using a 5100 (4 lights) or a 5100b (5 lights)?

I suspect the former. Which means that pppoe _must_ be on the router.

If it is a 5100b, it would be a lot faster to reset the 5100b (reset switch is accessible from the bottom of the modem) and make sure the pppoe settings are correct in the router. My 4100 (nearly the same firmware as 5100b) has never been connected to a computer.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Reply to
carubaken

Reply to
carubaken

Reply to
carubaken

The Speedstream 5100B (5 LEDs) does, but the 5100A (4 LEDs) does not. The modem cabinet does not have the A or B suffix marked on it, so the easiest way to distinguish is by the number of front panel LEDs.

Reply to
John Richards

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.