SBC-Yahoo rate

I have used SBC-Yahoo DSL for two years at a monthly cost of $26.00.

Last year, when the annual contract ended, they extended the introductory rate, if I signed up online.

But this year, the email I received states my new rate will be $39.95, but I can cancel at any time.

I am not getting the full speed because of the distance to the central office, so I don't feel the service is worth $39.95.

I am considering switching to Earthlink for $12.95 for six months and $29.95 afterwards.

I realize that Earthlink can't provide better connection speed that SBC-Yahoo, but the price is better.

I would value comments about this.

Thanks

DLC

Reply to
DLC
Loading thread data ...

"DLC" wrote

AFAIK they have done away with contracts for all "standard" speeds for new customers and renewals. Also straight forward pricing with no "discounts" applied to get to the real price. Also no requirement to "bundle" with other services to get the best price.

I just renewed/converted to the monthly plan. Same net cost as before, that is $19.95 for 1.5mbs down/whatever up. After a couple of billing cycles to be sure it all comes out "clean", I plan to dump the $2 a month-whether-you-use-it-or-not (which I don't) LD service and end up paying less total than before.

Price may vary by area AND the above is not verified yet as my bill has not changed. Call the number on your bill for SBC/ATT Internet Service and see what they have to say.

Also see: newsgroup sbcglobal.help.tech.connectivity.dsl

Reply to
Ken Abrams

DLC continues:

AT&T informs me that as I am 16000 feet from the central office, I am no longer eligible for DSL. But as a convenience to me, I can continue to have the same slow service, but at a higher price. Thats right - slow connection and higher price!

When I first signed up and discussed the slow speed, I was assured that remote terminals would be installed soon. Apparently, these plans have been abandoned.

So, by next week, I should have switched to Earthlink.

DLC

DLC wrote:

Reply to
DLC

DLC again:

The change over to Earthlink DSL took maybe two minutes. I didn't change out the modem, just changed the account name and password.

But, surprise, surprise, I am getting the full 384KB download instead of the 162KB ATT-SBC / Yahoo provided.

DLC

DLC wrote:

Reply to
DLC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.