Do you have to buy a new router when you switch DSL providers?

Hi I am currently a Verizon DSL subscriber with a DSL modem with wirless router built in. I am considering switching to Earthlink... do I really have to buy an all new modem/router? this would be the third, as I bought the current one when I moved east from LA... I've got to believe that I don't have to start a modem/router collection just because I switch providers!

Any insight you can give would be great!!!!

MMB

Reply to
morgan.m.bryant
Loading thread data ...

wrote

Odds are that it would work with Earthlink, but...... Only Earthlink can tell you for sure. Give them the brand and model number and your location. Good luck!

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Earlier this year, I switched from SBC-Yahoo DSL to Earthlink and my experience suggests that talking to their tech support about other modems and routers will be challenging and maybe impossible unless you subscribe to their additional $7.95 per month support plan for home networking.

I tried to use the modem Earthlink provided, but it continually dropped the connection and was difficult to get it to reconnect.

I ended up retaining the Speedstream 5100 modem I used with SBC-Yahoo. I did have to manually enter the DNS addresses into my D-link DI-704P router, but this has been solid for the 60 days since I changed providers.

I am content with the Earthlink service as it is almost twice as fast as SBC-Yahoo provided. (I am just over the normal maximum distance from the central office) I just found their support to be difficult to work with.

Good Luck

Ken Abrams wrote:

Reply to
DLC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.