PPPoE Server in Linux .

Dear all, Please suggest on the following. Will it work.

REMOTE CENTRAL

1.ADSL MODEM IN WINDOWS XP--------------------ADSL MODEM--SWITCH----LINUX. 2.ADSL MODEM IN WINDOWS 2000------------------ """" """ ----""""

The Linux will be running PPPoE-Server.Basically I'm trying to make the Linux machine act as a ADSL Concentrator.There are 2 remote site where I like to use ADSL, connecting by single pair copper wire.

In the CENTRAL end 2 ADSL modem connected to the SAME SWITCH where the LINUX server offering the PPPoE Service is hooked to.

Any suggestion is welcome.

regards nick

Reply to
Nick
Loading thread data ...

I hope that you realize that ADSL modems will *not* talk directly to each other. That is, an ADSL modem at one end can't connect to an ADSL modem at the other end.

ADSL modems are more correctly called ADSL Termination Units (ATU). Specifically, ATU-C (for Central Office/Concentrator) and ATU-R (for Remote).

The ATU-R is what we usually refer to a an ADSL "modem". An ATU-R needs an ATU-C to talk to.

If all you are trying to do is connect three sites together over dry copper loops, there are other soultions that will allow you to build a network without PPPoE.

Just what are your newtork plans?

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

| | I hope that you realize that ADSL modems will *not* talk directly to | each other. That is, an ADSL modem at one end can't connect to an ADSL | modem at the other end. | | ADSL modems are more correctly called ADSL Termination Units (ATU). | Specifically, ATU-C (for Central Office/Concentrator) and ATU-R (for | Remote). | | The ATU-R is what we usually refer to a an ADSL "modem". An ATU-R needs | an ATU-C to talk to. | | If all you are trying to do is connect three sites together over dry | copper loops, there are other soultions that will allow you to build a | network without PPPoE. | | Just what are your newtork plans? | | John | -- | John P. Dearing | A+, Network+, Server+ | To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

Hi John:

I was thinking that but was unsure of the right words ti use so I did not reply. I believe that what he wants to do can only be done with SDSL technology.

Am I correct ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

There are SDSL modems out there that can function together in pairs over dry copper loops. I don't think that *every* SDSL modem has that capability, but some do.

There are also devices from Tut Systems that can do similar functions over copper loops.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Dear John & Dave, Thanks for the discussion. Yes , we do have SDSL over dead copper wire.

Actually, I was just thinking to built a ATU-C, in a linux machine as it offer the pppoe-server.

Can you suggest whats the best way ? Is there any way to built such a system ?

regards nick

Reply to
Nick

find one of the old sdsl modems from Lucent/Rockwell. They had a NIC that you could put in a linux pc that did termination.

Reply to
rocker2002

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.