New DSL service "break-in" period??

I just signed up for SBC Yahoo DSL through their website.. On one page in tiny print was a sentence that said something to the effect they would monitor the service for the first 10 days, presumably to see what bandwidth my line will support? (They didn't say anything more about it, and it looks like they tried to sneak that sentence in.) If that's correct, do they "cap it" at a certain level based on their observations? And how much should I be online during that time? Is there anything I can to do make it advantageous to me, or to avoid? Thanks for info on how that procedure works.

RGB

Reply to
rgb7799remove
Loading thread data ...

Yes, if there is a problem. And how much should I be online during that time? Doesn't matter.

unplugging or turning off the modem should be avoided

The "ramp up" period. The modem and the dslam will monitor the speed for this period and adjust the rate up or down until it either reaches the maximum promised or the error rate becomes unacceptable.

Remember you have a range of service (download speeds) that you are paying for, such as:

192-384kbps [long wire pair or marginal wiring][occasionally 'fixed' at 192kbps] 384kbps-1.5mbps [typical] or 1.5-3mbps*[you would know this on your bill]

The speed test

formatting link
only tests the speed between you and the SBC network, connection to any particular internet page or service may vary. Unless you are under the minimum for your plan, do not call in for speed issues until after the 10 days are up. Certainly call in if you have intermittant synch.

*can approach 6mbps in some locations, but no promises above 3mbps.
Reply to
Kay Archer

Just leave your modem on for the 10 days, and don't worry about it. It does not matter whether you are avtively using the network, as long as the modem is connected to your line and powered up.

If you have to turn off the modem for a few minutes, such as to move things around, that's okay too.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

My PC doesn't have to be on all that time, right? Just the modem? What about the router? And what would happen if I only left the modem on 8 days if I had to leave town? Thanks for the info.

RGB

Reply to
rgb7799remove

That's right. Just the modem.

You can turn that off when you are not using it. I'm assuming that you are talking about a separate router (as distinct from a router/modem combination unit).

What is being checked, is the signalling between the modem, and the equipment at the telco.

The chances are that the ramp-up would be complete by 8 days. But, if possible, just leave it on while you are away. The modem doesn't take much energy.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.