alarm service contract time length question in CA

Does anyone know about a limit on how long an alarm service contract can be in California? Somebody told me 2 years is the maximum in Ca. and it cannot have an automatic renewal. I would appreciate any help.I think someone is trying to give me the shaft and telling me it has to be for 5 years. Thank you, Iven

Reply to
Iven
Loading thread data ...

it's 5 years only if you want their service.

Reply to
Don

Reply to
Iven

If it ain't your signature, tell them to shove it. If the balance is under a couple of hundred bucks they probably won't waste time trying to collect... But, they may send you to collections anyway, find a cheap attorney to write you a letter.

| >it's 5 years only if you want their service. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Everywhere Man

it would mean you signed a contract without reading it.

Reply to
Don

Is it your signature on the contract? I'm not asking whether you printed your name or not, I'm asking whether you signed it. If so, you're stuck with it.

You're saying they did not disclose the length of the contract, but you admit it says five years in the contract. If you signed something without reading it, that's too damned bad. Bet you won't make that mistake again.

You're a big boy now. Your alarm company has no obligation to hold your hand and verbally explain each term in the contract to you. Since you didn't read the length of the contract, you probably also didn't read the part about how the alarm company's liability is minimal in the event you get robbed and the alarm doesn't work. If you had gotten robbed, no doubt you'd be whining about how they didn't tell you they're not liable for your losses.

Read the contract before you sign it. If you don't understand it, hire a lawyer to explain it to you. Now, if you really need a magnifying glass to read the part where it says five years, maybe you have a point. But if a judge can read it, and you signed it, you're screwed.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Reply to
Iven

Reply to
Iven

Reply to
Iven

I am not a lawyer, and I don't think anyone here is. My guess is that they would not use an illegal contract. Its also my guess that a 5 year renewal is not illegal. You may do better in misc.legal than here.

Reply to
Steve

Ah, now the important details start coming out. You need to discuss this with a lawyer.

You say you bought a business, and the details of that transaction may determine whether you are liable. If your purchase agreement was for the entire business (for example, if you bought shares of stock in the seller's corporation) you are probably on the hook for the contract, even though you never signed anything. On the other hand, if you only bought the assets of the business, and not the liabilities, then you can tell the alarm company to go pound sand.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

You're discussing an alarm company doing something misleading with a bunch of people who sell alarms. Some of these folks are honest and will offer you good advice. Others regard you (the customer) as prey.

Some of the people who post in this newsgroup provide useful information to end users.

In that case you're under no obligation to pay for monitoring. Tell them you didn't sign it and you refuse to pay. If they persist or threaten you will collection, contact your department of consumer protection. Also keep copies of all correspondence with them. Send copies, along with a formal complaint to the licensing agency.

If you bought a *business* and the previous owner signed you can be responsible for the contract. However, if you only purchased the assets of the business -- not the business name and so forth, you are not obligated. Also, most alarm contracts say that the alarm company can assign it's obligations under the contract but the end user cannot. Some courts have held that such provisions are too one-sided and have tossed them. Others have not.

That wouldn't matter anyway. Alarm contracts require a signature. A phone conversation wouldn't obligate you in any case.

And well you should. Tell them to produce a contract with your signature if they want to do business with you. While you're at it, check to make sure these people carry any required license. Many don't and will leave you alone if you start to make noise.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

no hostility just the facts, mam.

people who sell alarms. Some of these folks are

Is that really the way you see them as prey? I always thought so with your BBB record as proof.

formatting link

or kicks and giggles

and some like Bass just want to sell parts and can't get a license or sell monitoring because they are not qualified to get licensing.

I bet you let your customers out of their contracts every day, NOT.

didn't sign it and you refuse to pay. If they persist

protection. Also keep copies of all correspondence with them.

don't forget to tell him about the BBB

there you go

responsible for the contract. However, if you only purchased

obligated. Also, most alarm contracts say that the

cannot. Some courts have held that such provisions

show me.

Others have not.

bingo

conversation wouldn't obligate you in any case.

live and learn

they want to do business with you. While you're at it,

will leave you alone if you start to make noise.

again with the licensing talk from an unlicensed hack

Reply to
Bra

Check

formatting link
This is an attorney's website that is a leader in the US on security related issues. Security contracts are a major part of his business. I believe he has the laws of most states on his site. I would believe California is one that would be there. After reading your posts, I believe you have several issues and not just the length of term. You can also email Ken and get a quick opinion. It may get posted to his email list and probably will get comments from others with similar experiences.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

What happened when you told them that you did not sign that contrnact that it was with someone else?

| >>What would that mean if you used an Alarm service that DID NOT DISCLOSE | >>anything about a 5 year contract and after you cancel service tell you you're | >[quoted text clipped - 4 lines] | >>small print it says 5 years. Someone also printed my name under the signature | >>that isnt my writing. | >

| >Is it your signature on the contract? I'm not asking whether you printed | >your name or not, I'm asking whether you signed it. If so, you're stuck | >with it. | >

| >You're saying they did not disclose the length of the contract, but you | >admit it says five years in the contract. If you signed something without | >reading it, that's too damned bad. Bet you won't make that mistake again. | >

| >You're a big boy now. Your alarm company has no obligation to hold your | >hand and verbally explain each term in the contract to you. Since you | >didn't read the length of the contract, you probably also didn't read the | >part about how the alarm company's liability is minimal in the event you | >get robbed and the alarm doesn't work. If you had gotten robbed, no doubt | >you'd be whining about how they didn't tell you they're not liable for your | >losses. | >

| >Read the contract before you sign it. If you don't understand it, hire a | >lawyer to explain it to you. Now, if you really need a magnifying glass to | >read the part where it says five years, maybe you have a point. But if a | >judge can read it, and you signed it, you're screwed. | >

| >- badenov |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Iven...

CA alarm laws do not discuss the permissable length of contract term, but they do regulate many other aspects of alarm company operations.

For instance, all CA burglar and fire alarm companies are required to be licensed, as a precondition of engaging in business or using the courts to enforce their subscriber contracts... but many companies get away without licenses...

See the recent thread "an inconvenient truth" for information on how one company got away with being unlicensed, and how the state alarm industry trade association circles the wagons to protect them.

Tell us the name of your alarm company... and the license numbers that appear on the purported contract, and I'll check with the license folks for you...

Nick

Iven wrote:

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

If you believe you're being ripped off, contact this (California Residents) State agency

formatting link
Good Luck, Russ Brill

Reply to
Russell Brill

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.