Wireless questions

We have 4 PCs and a Xbox360 all hooked up wierd to our DSL. My question is, what would I have to buy to get everything wireless... what is the max transfer speeds? And does it matter if it's 802.11a..b..g? I cant' think of any other questions at the moment, but if anyone could shed light on this and maybe some questions I should have asked but didnt I'd appreachate it.

Reply to
Drew
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Playing game, MIMO wireless router is better choice. It's capable of higher rate than 11g. The keyword here is "capable" Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oh, also you'll need MIMO wireless adaptors for your PCs to get full advantage of MIMO.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

So, I can keep my same modem, and just hook up via CAT5 to the wireless router? Or will the router take the place on my Modem/Hub combo I have now?

Reply to
Drew

Hi, Router is replacing the hub eliminating cables. Rest is same. Good luck,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

How many PCS can I have one one router?

Reply to
Drew

I'm looking at

formatting link
Whats the range on this and how many PCs can you have connected to it?

Reply to
Drew

formatting link
Take a look that this regarding wireless security, as it's a must these days.

Also as a gamer of 10 years (I need a life - lol), I'd not recommend going wireless as their are so many variables that can cause high pings/packet loss when using wireless connections e.g microwave ovens, CCTV wireless cams, Amateur TV service etc as they are on or around the same frequency as the wireless routers/cards. For normal internet usage wireless is ok, but remember setting up security is needed or anyone locally can connect and use your internet connection.

JM

Reply to
JM

Hi, Usually 4 but you can expand the number by plugging in the hub into the one LAN port.(3 PC plus hub).

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Drew" hath wroth:

253 IP addresses assuming you add additional ports with ethernet switches or hubs.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.