Help me get my ZyXEL Prestige 643 reset, please!

Okay, so this is what happened.

My big bro, the tech wiz (har har har) graciously donated the aforementioned adsl device to me, the needy kid brother.

Unfortunately the strings attached said that he had no idea of the user name or password he had set for the device. So, I searched the web and found a site that told me to

1) unplug phone line 2) plug in RJ45 3) turn modem on 4) within 3 minutes of the SYS light coming on, go to browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 5) enter admin as user and the device Ethernet address (conveniently located below the device) as the password.

Alas, no can do. The thing bounces back to the login screen. Apparently my bro (or whoever set it up for him, setting up a lightbulb is a challenge to him) changed all the passwords available.

My question therefore is, can one nuke / set fire to / manipulate the innards of the modem so that it somehow would forget its grim past life in the service of my brother and return to this benign world?

As I understand it, if I had a serial cable to the device I could fire it up and it would pop up a terminal screen where a simple 1234 would suffice as a password? But this is dreaming, since all passwords have been fiddled with.

Thank you oh gurus / guru-ettes!

Reply to
grummanf6f
Loading thread data ...

Greetings,

I know nothing about the ZyXEL sorry, but if a serial connection is required, then that requires YOUR physical presence at the device (whereas access via an IP addres does not), so there may be an unalterable manufacturer password that can be used to gain access. Its certainly wrth trying, all you need is the right serial cable.

Good luck...

Reply to
Peter

formatting link

Reply to
mrbubl

formatting link

Reply to
mrbubl

mrbubl kirjoitti:

formatting link
Thanks for this, I actually stumbled on this myself, and tried it,. I can see the login screen and can enter 'admin' and the device Ethernet ID, but it does not proceed inside the admin application.

Any other ideas? ZyXEL FInland suggested that if warranty has not expired, I send them the device, but it is at least 3 years old, so no luck.

Reply to
grummanf6f

formatting link

This appears to be a backdoor, I doubt your brother could have changed it if he wanted to. What format is the MAC address on the bottom of the unit, and in what format are you entering it?

I suspect it's got ":" or "-" or something as a separator (which you may not want), and I wonder if it's case-sensitive.

You can use 'arp -a' at a command prompt to see what it's MAC address is, in case MAC cloning could have changed the backdoor password, though that seems pretty broken...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

formatting link

How about the ID on the physical unit, not the ENet ID, but the serial # itself. Most people don't go to that trouble to change it.

Reply to
mrbubl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.