DSL Splitter - house wiring question(s)

Hi All,

I'm in the process or rewiring all of the low-voltage circuits in my house (cable, phone, network). My question(s) are concerning my DSL hookup.

Originally, every phone jack in my house ran from the jack to the "network interface" (NI) box on the outside of my house. I have just a single incoming phone line (phone number), but my DSL runs through a splitter in the NI box. With the original wiring, the single in-house jack that the DSL modem plugs into was hooked to the "split" DSL line outside.

Now, with my new wiring, I have just a single CAT5e cable running outside the house and connecting at the NI. I wired the main phone line as "line 1" and the split DSL line as "line 2". That single line now goes to a central wiring location in the basement where it's used as input to a Channel Vision C-0437 telephone distribution module, which can be seen here:

formatting link
I plan to move my DSL modem to the basement, right next to the C-0437 module. Now, I'm wondering what's the best way to get the modem connected to the incoming "line 2" circuit? I guess I could make a patch cable that goes from the modem's RJ-11 jack to one of the C-0437's 12 output jacks, and push line 2 to line 1 in the wiring of the patch cable, but is there a better way? Actually, I'd prefer to not even eat one of the 12 output jacks of the C-0437 for this, as I really need to use them elsewhere in the house.

Ideally, it'd be nice to split line 1 and 2 apart at the C-0437 end of the Cat5e cable, before it's used as input into the C-0437. That way, only line 1 would feed into the C-0437, and I could plug line #2 straight into my DSL modem. Does such a splitter exist? What I really need is the ability to take an RJ-45 with line1/line2, and output line 1 to an RJ-45 (for input into the C-0437), and line 2 to an RJ-11 (for input into the DSL modem). I assume such a thing could be cobbled together from store-parts, but again, is there a better way?

I guess I could have brought the DSL line in from outside on a separate wire, which would have eliminated this whole thing (though that seems wasteful), or I could have split the in-house side of the single Cat5e into an RJ-45 and an RJ-11 in the basement (but that seems ugly).

Any advice on how this *should* be done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jgodfrey
Loading thread data ...

snip

snip

Isn't this what the "whole house" DSL filter does ?? All you did was move it inside.

info here may help

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

Reed,

Thanks for the reply, though after thinking on this last night, I think I now have a good solution. This seems to have been a "can't see the forest for the tree's issue.

Anyway, I think I'll just snip off the RJ-45 end I placed on the incoming CAT5e cable, and replace it with a dual RJ-25 jack (actually,

1 RJ-25 and 1 RJ-11) at my structured wiring location. Then, I'll run lines 1, 3, 4 from the CAT5e (with line 1 being my voice line, and 3, 4 not being used) into the RJ-25 jack, and line 2 (my DSL line) into the RJ-11 as line 1. Then, I can make a cable with an RJ-25 end and an RJ-45 end to go between the 3-line jack and my C-0437 distribution center and another cable (RJ11 -> RJ11) to go from the single line jack to my DSL modem.

Phew - that sounds ugly in writing, but seems simple enough in practice... ;^)

Anyway, thanks again for the input.

Jeff

Reply to
jgodfrey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.