Bless you my children -- I have a question about my router

I am using an SMC SMC2804WBRP-G Barricade g Wireless Broadband Router with Built-in USB Print Server.

My Internet connection is cable with a Motorola Surfboard modem connected to this router. My desktop computer is connected to one of the Ethernet ports on the router and my printer is connected to the USB port on the router.

I use a laptop around the house and, normally, the laptop connects to the router and I can print wirelessly from the laptop, through the router, to the printer. I use WEP 64-bit with an encryption key.

For the past couple of weeks, I have not been able to connect to the SMC wireless router. It shows up on the wireless network list on the laptop. When I try to connect, it asks for the encryption key then connects but the network list says "Limited or No Connectivity."

I have tried everything I know -- rebooting the router; pull the power on the router and restart; reset router to factory defaults; refresh the network list; installed updated firmware; move the laptop so it's sitting right next to the router -- nothing works -- still get the "limited or no connectivity" error.

When I tell WindowsXP to repair the connection, it goes through the steps -- disabling the notebook wireless adapter; enable the notebook wireless adapter; tries to obtain new IP address; never does obtain a valid IP address, tells me to contact my system administrator. I am it.

I live in an apartment complex where several of my neighbors have unsecured wireless networks -- I can connect to any one of them I want to -- in fact, I just tried the laptop and connected to four of them with no problem. Recently went on a long road trip and connected flawlessly to wireless networks in every motel where I stayed.

Any suggestions???

----------------------- In Nomine Pater et File et Spiritus Sanctus Dominique Go Friskem

Reply to
Spiritus Sanctus
Loading thread data ...

Peace be with you.

I also tried turning off the firewall. In fact, I turned off all security -- firewall, anti-virus, etc., etc.

This router worked just fine up until a couple of weeks ago. I have made no changes to the system.

----------------------- In Nomine Pater et File et Spiritus Sanctus Dominique Go Friskem

Reply to
Spiritus Sanctus

First, disable encryption and then try to connect. If you're successful, then re-enable encryption with a simple passphrase and try to connect. If successful, key in a stronger passphrase and go from there. As for the limited connection issue, try to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. If you are not successful, you have an issue with your router or the ISP does not recognize your router's MAC. You may have to clone the MAC of the hardware that is registered with your ISP. (this is usually the PC that the cable/DSL modem is attached to). Let us know what happens. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Peace be unto you, brother, and bless you for your suggestions.

Sadly, the Evil One must have possessed my SMC router for nothing that I try works.

Prayer has not worked.

Curses have not worked.

All the fixes I attempted have not worked.

I tried turning off the encryption and that did not work.

I am able only to connect with "Limited or No Connectivity" and this does not allow me to access the Internet.

Yes, I can connect the laptop directly to the router with an Ethernet cable and that gives me Internet access without a problem.

I have a Motorola Surfboard modem that has wireless built in. An Ethernet cable goes from the modem to the SMC router. The SMC router is also wireless -- connected to the SMC router are my desktop computer and my printer. I have things set up this way because doing so allows me to print from both my desktop computer (through the Ehternet connection to the router) and from my lapop (through the wireless connection to the router). Before this tribulation started, I was able to connect to the SMC wireless and print through it with the laptop.

I can connect to the Surfboard modem wirelessly with no problem whatsoever but that does not allow me to print from my laptop. If there were some way to print from the laptop wirelessly while still printing from my desktop, I would use that method and I would send the SMC router to Purgatory.

'Tis enough to try the patience of Our servant, Job.

And now: May Peace be always with you.

------------------------ In Nomine Pater et File et Spiritus Sanctus Dominique Go Friskem

Reply to
Spiritus Sanctus

Go into your wireless router's setup and review the settings. If you've never password protected your router's setup utility, there's a chance that a neighbor has played a prank on you by limiting your access wirelessly. While you're in your router's setup, make sure you have enough DHCP IP assignments available and make sure the MAC address of your laptop hasn't been blocked. If all else fails, reset the router to its default settings. That *should* solve the problem. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Opps...I thought it was *MY* wireless router I messed with.

Reply to
DTC

(LOL)

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Bless you my brother and Peace be unto you for all times.

I have reset the router to its default settings and will now try to connect with my laptop.

By the way -- I have two laptops -- both of them exhibit the same behavior -- for months and months both laptops (and my daughter's laptop, when she was visiting) would connect flawlessly. Now, no matter what I try, I get "Limited or No Connectivity."

Because I am a novice at this, please tell me:

1. Where do I find the MAC address of my laptop?
  2. I found a function on the router's management software that allows me to set the IP address range -- it was 192.168.2.100 to
192.168.2.199. I changed the second address to 192.168.2.254 -- I assume that will give me more IP addresses.

And now: My the Lord watch between me and thee while we are apart, one from another.

Go in Peace and be a blessing to all you see.

------------------------ In Nomine Pater et File et Spiritus Sanctus Dominique Go Friskem

Reply to
Spiritus Sanctus

Sadly, nothing has worked.

Now, when I try to connect with either of my two laptops, all I get is "Acquiring Network Address" -- cannot even get to the point of "Limited or No Connectivity."

I know it is not a matter of the laptops being too far away from the router because I have moved both laptops to sit next to the router.

Perhaps 'tis time to retire this router and replace it with another one.

Bless all of you who provided assistance and suggestions. Sometimes the Evil One cannot be overcome.

Reply to
Spiritus Sanctus

Are you saying that you cannot connect at all? If so, reset your router once again. Afterwards, power off your modem, wireless router and your wireless devices. Turn on the modem, first, followed by the wireless router and then your wireless devices (laptops). With at least YOUR laptop, check to see if you see the default SSID of your wireless router using the wireless connection utility that came with your laptop. Most wireless router use their brand name as the default SSID. If you still see the name that you inputted, then your router did not fully reset. If you do see the default SSID, click on it and see if you can connect. You should be able to. Let us know how you do. If you feel you need to purchase another one, do what you must, but I don't think your current device is fried. Still, I'm not there to see for myself and you're in a better position to make that judgment that I. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.