Wirless internet on laptop , Accesspoints

Hi,

I did some research on wireless networking but I still have two questions about AccessPoints

Im fairly familiar with networking but never did anything with wireless, I need to make the network wireless at two of my friends.

Situation 1:

There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3 computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

Situation 2:

At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like Wireless modem or so?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
Daniel
Loading thread data ...

Hi daniel,

Situation 1:

It's better to buy an Access Point with built-in Router than buying an AP alone ( no big difference in prices).

Remove the existing router and install the new AP with router instead, I prefer to go with MIMO Wireless to have wider coverage, more bandwidth and minimum dead spots , and always try to put your AP+Router in a central and open area in the house.

formatting link

Situation 2:

As in first case I prefer to use one unit for all, you can find a three in one unit ( Modem, Router and AP), but check with your broadband service provider if they deliver their line with any modems or just the line alone.

formatting link

Naim

Reply to
Panda

Comments inline:

The main differences between a router and an access point is 1) the router will have some amount of ethernet ports for wired computers along with the wireless function and the access point doesn't; 2) the router acts as a DHCP server and passes out private IP addresses to all the computers on the lan and the access point doesn't.

In Situation 1, you want to just add the WAP. It will get plugged into one of the router's ethernet ports. A wireless router can act as a WAP if you turn off the DHCP function - the router mftr.'s website will have instructions. Obviously, it is less work to just use a WAP but sometimes wireless routers are cheaper than WAPs.

In Situation 2, just buy a wireless router. Obviously, they will need a cable or dsl Internet connection first. The cable company will come and install the service and provide the cable modem. The dsl company will send them a kit with a dsl modem and cd (at least they do it that way here in California, USA). You need the cable or dsl set up before you add the router.

Here are some links to help you:

Linksys Learning Center -

formatting link
Wireless - Basic Configuration -
formatting link
Wireless - Basic Security -
formatting link
MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security -
formatting link
Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2 -
formatting link
Malke

Reply to
Malke

Thanks for the answers and links both, it doesn't make much difference then so if I can get a wireless router for about the same money I will just get that.

I heard it could be a problem though because the first Router is on the second floor and he wants to be able to use the laptop on the first.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks for the answers and links both, it doesn't make much difference then so if I can get a wireless router for about the same money I will just get that.

I heard it could be a problem though because the first Router is on the second floor and he wants to be able to use the laptop on the first.

Reply to
Daniel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.