Newbie question

I have cable modem service in my home, and an existing wireless network running off a cable modem on the first and second floors. The wireless signal doesn't make it up to the 3rd floor. But--up on the 3rd floor, I have a TV hooked up to a run of cable split off from where the cable service originally enters the house and running up to the 3rd floor. If I buy a cable modem, can I hook up a computer and get Internet access from that 3rd floor cable TV wire? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
invalid unparseable
Loading thread data ...

"PJL" <harvard75atspamnocomcast.net> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Unless the ISP allows you to have two cable modem MAC(s) provisioned to your account, the answer is no. You should look into using a wireless repeater to extend the range of coverage of the wireless network -- use Google.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Afaik no - you can't attach 2 CMs to one cable.

Why not run a length of CAT5 up the outside of the building from the ground to 3rd floors?

Or if you want to stay wireless, buy/make a directional antenna for your AP and/or 3rd floor computer, to improve signal strength?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.