Wireless internet to wired network

I am moving shortly into a new home. The cable internet connection will be on the main floor and my home office will be on the second floor loft. I don't want to have to run wires up to the loft for internet.

Currently I have a US Robotics 802.11BG router that runs my home network, getting the signal from the DSL modem. Since I don't want to put the router on the main floor with the cable modem, is there a way I can replace the CAT-5 cable that would normally run from the main floor to the loft with a wireless solution?

I was researching using a wireless bridge, but I can't decide what equipment I would need to make that work, or if I am even going about it correctly.

The ideal solution that I can see would be to have a device connect to the modem that will send the internet signal up to the router.

Thanks!

Reply to
AZGLI
Loading thread data ...

What is the problem with having the router nxt to the cable modem? It will still give you coverage up one floor.

That device would be a wireless router - which you already have.

My situation is a bit more complicated but it works well. cable modem and wired router in the basement, in my office. cat5 cable to main floor hub for family computer, and wireles router. 'visiting' computers are usually on the main floor and pick up the signal just fine. my laptop gets the wireless signal anywhere in the house - basement, main floor, second floor

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Stuart,

The problem with putting the router next to the modem is that I need the router on the second floor to network the computers there. I transfer large files from computer to computer and I want a wired network between the computers. I also don't want to have to purchase wireless adapters for all my computers. I want to maintain the speed tand throughput that a wired connection gives for use when I transfer files from computer to computer.

Thanks!

Stuart Miller wrote:

Reply to
AZGLI

OK that makes sense. Here are some ideas

1. purchase a (used?) 10 or 100 base T hub to connect all the computers upstairs.
  2. For one of the machines upstairs, put in a wireless card as well as the RJ45 wired card. establish this machine as the gateway for the others upstairs (if they need internet) and enable internet connection sharing for that machine
  3. leave the wireless router/firewall/hub downstairs beside the cable modem

Generally, the intention is that the wireless router/firewall/hub is your base station, and only a computer will be a remote station, so make this work for you by having your remote station able to handle internet traffic for other machines. Of course if you only need internet on one machine it is much easier.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

That only works if the gateway computer is on whenever the other computers need interenet. That is not the intention, I want each computer to be able to operate independantly, i.e. access the NAS, printer and internet without another computer being on. I generally switch between computers, depending on the project at the time, and only have both on sometimes.

Pretty much I would like to know if anyone knows of a pair of devices that will plug into the WAN port on my router and to the network port on the modem and link the two wirelessly with more throughput than the internet connection itself.

Reply to
AZGLI

For only two computers upstairs, just put a wireless card in each. Then still get a hub for connecting everything upstairs.

If it were me, for two computers, I would set up a linux box to be a file server, print server and internet gateway. The security and backup benefits can be discussed elsewhere. For me, all the important files live on the server, and that is where the printer is available. That machine stays on all the time, and we are looking at about a year since the last non-maintenance re-boot.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

You can do everything you specify, for a rather small cost (under $200),

*IF* you eliminate the word "wirelessly".....

Just curious, do you want it to work the way you want, or do you want it "wireless" (as in 802.11x)? Or can you live with a solution that will do exactly what you want and no extra wires are needed? If so, look into power line networking.. Netgear makes a line of products for "powerline networking"

formatting link
click on powerline ethernet adapters... $99 for 14Mbps, $129 for 54Mbps, $149 for 85Mbps, $169 for 200 Mbps)... I have three linksys WRT54G 's (

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have a setup like this as well. In my home office (which is a fair distance from my router) I need to be able to transfer files between computers without using slow wireless. My solution was to use a wireless client bridge. This is a 4 port switch to local network, but it also connects the local (home office) network to the rest of the network wirelessly. I use a Motorola wr850g router with dd-wrt firmware to do this.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.