Wireless upstairs or downstairs

I overheard someone saying either wireless traveled better UP or Down. I moved my wireless modem upstairs and am not getting an excellent reception. I got better reception upstairs than I am getting downstairs when the modem was downstairs. Reason the modem was moved is because desktop is hardwired to router and we moved it into my son's room.

So does anyone know if the wireless modem works better for the full house located down stairs versus up stairs? Thanks.

Reply to
kentuckymom23
Loading thread data ...

If the antennas are mounted straight up, the radiation pattern looks like a fat donut, so they work better if all in the same horizontal plane.

| _|_

| _|_

Is bad

======================

| | _|_ _|_

Is good

Reply to
DTC

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net hath wroth:

Last time I checked, RF and electromagnetic waves are not affected (much) by gravity (ignoring gravitational lenses and relativistic effects).

Well think about what you're going through going up and down. Going down, you're probably going through the desk or table that the computah is sitting on. That's not the case going up. Similarly, there may be differences in what's stuffed in the ceiling and floor. One may have aluminum backed fiberglass insulation, which is fatal ot RF propagation. You may also have an open stairwell, which is closer to either up or down. Hard to say without a site survey (walk around with a signal strength indicator).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It would stand to reason that since the RF waves are lighter than air, then they'd travel upward effortlessly.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Not true. You see them 200 ft tall cellular towers? The radio waves fall down to reach your cellphone.

Reply to
DTC

That's because the waves are specially designed to bind with carbon dioxide in the higher atmosphere, causing them to drift downwards and get into those low-lying areas between peaks more effectively, helping to prevent dead spots.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.