Making my pc wirles capable

To make my PC wireless capable, I should just get a wireless adapter instead of a card, right?

Is Fry's Electronic a bad place to buy such things? Heard that they use factory rejects? SHould I get it from Comp USA?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

I don't know what your distinction is between an adapter and a card.

Most Fry's shoppers would enjoy a cardbus adapter, like

formatting link
D-Link DWL-G630 $19.99 or
formatting link
Netgear WG511RV $39.99 or you might go for a USB adapter, which would be a little more cumbersome, since it is external, with a cable, but allows better positioning of the antenna, which might improve the range.
formatting link
USR 54Mpbs USB Adapter $29.99

or this All-in-one device for multiple uses, which has a better antenna:

formatting link
Belkin F5D7233 Wireless-G 54Mbps Router, USB Adapter, Bridge and Access Point $34.99

This is the WGR614v4 Router and WG511 CardBus card that I have.

A router and a card for $39.99.

I think Fry's does incredible volume, so they wind up with an appropriate percentage of rejects. I also think they do closeouts with rebates, since cutting out the UPC means you can't return the item for cash. Those seem to have a suspiciously high number of defectives in the pile, but I have seen pallets of small items move through Fry's in a day or two at a single store.

I have never had a good experience at CompUSA. They advertise incredible specials that are never in stock in the store, and the sales droids all want to sell you a fully featured laptop, even if you came in to buy some blank CDs.

Reply to

Well, you either put a card or use a USB wireless adapter to make your PC wireless capable.

BTW, iIt seems that the information you give blow is for making the network wireless, right? I already have a linksys wireless router.

Reply to


I cliked ont he last lik you gave and saw router info nd assumed that you were not giving me adapter infor for PC. Sorry.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to

Nope. What you should do is start over and supply:

  1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you already have to work with? (Mfg and model numbers please). Just pretend that I haven't taken over your computer or looked around your room through your golf ball camera, and don't have a clue what you're currently using.

In general, you can get a wireless client in several broad types.

  1. Ethernet bridge as in a game adapter.
  2. PCI card for inside a desktop.
  3. PCMCIA card for a laptop
  4. MiniPCI for inside a laptop
  5. USB thing for desktop or laptop.
  6. CF card wireless for PDA.
  7. Whatever else I forgot. Without knowing what you currently own, I can't tell you how to spend your money.

Whether you buy retail or mail odor is strictly your problem. If you're not sure what you need, then find a dealer that graciously accepts returns. Both Fry's and CompUSA sometimes fail the easy return test.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I sent you an email about my PC. Can you check the email?

Reply to

Here is latest update:

I was just trying to get the PC that I regularly use (that I keep close to my Linksys router which is near comcast modem) wireless - got a Belkin USB adapter a while agao and got it working with my comcast service - but the final goal is to get the other PC (downstairs) wireless. Regular PC is ACUS A7N8X Deluxe w/ processor 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon

The house is pretty big. The router is at the front of the house and upstairs while the PC downstairs will be moved to the othere the end of the house and downstairs.

For the PC upstairs, I'll just use cable since it is going to be sitting next to the router but for the PC downstairs (which I will eventually put Linux; now it has XP), I MUST make it wireless. I was just going to use a USB adapter but now I am wondering whether a wireless PCI would be better? Beside, would G+ be better?

Reply to

"ME" hath wroth:

No. I answer questions in mailing lists, newsgroups, and blogs for free. That's because everyone learns from the answers. It's also because sometimes I don't have time to answer. It's also because sometimes, I don't have a clue while others are better able to answer. This way, everyone learns.

However, via email, only you benifit. I consider this billable consulting at $75/hr. You're the only one that benifits, so I think that is fair. The only exception are questions involving trade secrets and unreleased products, that would be impossible to disclose.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I just meant did you get the inofo on my PC.

I started a new thread since people kept telling me to go to DSL group. I need wireless hardware info

Reply to

I still can't tell what you have. Linksys router is working with a Comcast modem. What is the Belkin USB adapter connected to? Is that wireless (I would presume so, but Jeff would like to know, and your descriptions are vague.

Try listing what you have working one item at a time, then list what you'd like to accomplish, one line at a time.

Working: 1 Comcast Modem to Linksys BEFW11S4 router. 2 wired to Realtek internal NIC on WinXP PC, soon to be Linux. 3 Belkin BFG-22 USB WiFi dongle on WinXP laptop. Wanted: 1 Move the WinXP PC to wireless. 2 Add a WinXP PC wireless downstairs at the other end of the house. Note: The house is all steel construction. What isn't steel is 100 year old plaster. It is 185 feet from the router to where I want the PC.

That would leave room for some suggestions.

You could put reflectors on the existing Linksys router. I presume that they all have similar antennas, since you don't mention a model number.

formatting link
EZ-12 Windsurfer.

The downstairs PC might benefit from something like the USB Client Belkin F5D7233 that I mentioned, since it has external antennas, which could be further embellished with reflectors or other antennas if needed.

You might also try the

formatting link
HWU8DD USB 10/100 NIC with Built-In 8dBi Dish Atenna $54.99

I've never had a problem returning items to Fry's, except for the rebate items where the UPC has already been sent in.

A friend of mine used the return policy extensively, referring to it as a

30 day free trial.
Reply to

Last night, I went and got it to test because I never accessed it wirelessly.



- Comcast moden connected to Linksys WRT 54 G wirless router

- Two PCs - both XP: and Dell Pentium IV

- I use ethernet cables to connect form PC to router for internet a cess

- Everything is in the same room upstairs now.

Wanted (I will be getting DSL on Jan 8):

- Linksys WRT 54 G wirless router will be kept near the DSL modem; will decide whether I should keep DSL moden donstairs or upstairs upon suggestion

- AMD Athlon PC (ACUS A7N8X Deluxe) will remain upstairs as XP box

- Dell Pentimum will be take downstairs and Linux will be installed

- Establish a network between the two PCs so that I can access all the drives of both PCS from any of the two PCs; is this what is called peer-to-peer? Or only one PC can see the oher and not vice versa? I will talk to my friend about this. I want to establish this network between the two PCs as *wireless*. I assue that it means that both PC needs to be wireless capable.

- I have phone jack at noth locations where the pCs will be

- Establish internet connection on both PCs; If I keep the router upstairs, upstairs PC near can use ethernet cable but the other PC will need to be wireless capable. I don't know how to go about this, i.e whether to keep the DSL modem and router upstairs or downstairs.

I am assuming that with the network between the two PCs estalished, for the PC that is a way from the router, I just access internet via getting onto the wireless internet newtork. Am I wrong?


- House is not all steel but I am not sure.

- Distance between router and PCs will not be more than 250ft.

Reply to

Isn't that for notebook? You eman sotmhign similar for desktop, right?

I want my downstairs PC (linux) connected to my upstairs XP box as well.

I didn't know about this stuff.

Same here.

Good idea.

Reply to

Decided to get wired internet access from Linux box and make the XP box wirless capable using a PCI adapter.

In fact, a friend suggested to use powerline connector instead of ethernet cable to connect Linux box to the router.

Reply to

Yes, do consider a powerline connector for the DISTANT desktop. I had good results with the Netgear. They have various speeds so be aware of whether you want low, med or high speed kit. Medium is probably a safe bet. Very simple to install and no muss, no fuss.

The computer that is close to the router should be connected by ethernet cable to the router. (Duh.)

Turn off the radio on the Linksys (for security) and reserve it for when a wireless capable laptop shows up at your house. Sooner or later, one will.

Plan B: (cheaper, but less certain) Get a USB wifi adapter and 10-15' USB extension cable. Install on the distant desktop. Use the extension to get the adapter/antenna up high and experiment to find a good reception position. If it works, fine, add WPA security to the wireless and you are good to go.

If not, return it and get the powerline kit.


Reply to

I should add, if you are determined to use wifi to network, there are various measures for improving your reception if the initial usb adapter test doesn't work.

First thing is using homemade reflectors on one or both ends. Anybody can fill you in on links for reflector making. This can make a difference.

There are many other possibilities for getting wifi to work. Depends on if you have more time or more money.

Powerline is one fixed cost and it's done. Will work.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.