Two WRT54G routers for signal boost- how to?

I have a 3 story place with 1 WRT54G up stairs (3rd floor, office/cable modem), and was getting a very low signal downstairs and in the back yard. I had a spare WRT54G, and just ran a cat5 cable from upstairs to the lower level (same wall space as phone/cable/alarm etc, NOT ac), not only had a great signal downstairs, but also in the back yard. If it's feasible for you, I just have the output from one of the router jacks plugged into the input of the one downstairs (same SSID and channel).. Works great and lets me work from the backyard.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I have two WRT54G routers but only use one. At a location up stairs in my home where I use my laptop with built in wireless my signal averages around 60% and I would like it to be better. My existing router needs to say where its at. Does anyone know if I can use the other router and set it up closer to my weak point to boost my signal strength? Using my second router as a repeater if you will. If so where do you know I can get detail instructions on how to set the configuration of them up. I currently use the latest sveasoft firmware but can flash it back to linksys too. Not interested in other option like hi-gain antennas and moving my equipment around or buying a repeater to improve it. I just would like to use my spare router so I can benefit from its use to help my low signal strength.

Reply to
gekco

They make a liteweight thing (square device) that goes around the screen in seconds (think it's called sunshade, sunsaver, something like that). Similar to the one shown here (on sale for $27)

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

stairs in

strength.

office/cable

Was just wondering about the outside workers, how do you see your laptop screen when it sunny? I see advertisements about setting around the pool soaking up sunshine and surfing the web........I havent seen one laptop that I can see the mouse move around in the sun.

Reply to
Airhead

Peter Pan is right I dont have one now but I used one before it works great.

Reply to
gekco

Thanks for the advice I guess I could do this as a last resort but I would like to do it wireless if all possible.

Reply to
gekco

No problem. I just throw a towel over my head that also covers the laptop. Works fine if I remember to shake the sand out of the towel before it gets into the keyboard.

However, methinks this is the right answer:

formatting link
formatting link
do it thyself:
formatting link
to the Borg. Resistance is futile.
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote: Snip>> However, methinks this is the right answer:

We are Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be

laminated.

Reply to
Scrote

Are you using Alchemy or Satori? I know Alchemy has the WDS repeater function, which should serve you well in this situation.

Reply to
Shiranui Gen-An

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.