Wireless Repeater

I have a combination of Wired + Wireless network. The wireless network is running in ad hoc mode, I have DLink hardware DWL-G650+ and DWL-G520+. My house has 2 floors the wireless connectivity is 100% on the upper floor but my signal is spotty at the bottom floor.

The question: What repeater can I use to re-broadcast the signal on the lower floor and can I continue to use ad hoc mode or will I have to purchase an access point as well?

Thanks in advance

Chris Taylor

Reply to
taylorza
Loading thread data ...

Robert,

Thanks for the quick response, that helps answer my question perfectly.

Reply to
taylorza

I would alsoexplore two other options:

a) high-gain external antennas - omni s or directional, for example Cantennas

b) can you pull CAT5e/6 cable from 1st floor to ground floor and put in another AP.

Reply to
merv.hrabi

Thanks,

I have considered option a but I was not sure if the antennas will help since the problem is not a matter of distance or direction but I believe that the reinforced concreate slab that separates the floors (In Cyprus house are build to withstand what nature throws at it). I hope to avoid option b since the point of going wireless was to not have to run wires.

Thanks for your response

Reply to
taylorza

Should have added that the external antennas should be high-gain antennas. Ussally the standard antennas are are 2 dBI - so you want to look for something high 7.5 dbi or above.

As you have experienced there will be a significant signal attentuation going thru s cement slab.

Be aware that a repeater will cut your wireless bandwidth in half ...

The reason I mention option 2 is that I have used this solution before to service a three storey building with one AP on 1st level and 2nd AP on third level both connected together using CAT5E cabling. This provided excellent wireless coverage thru the entire building

Reply to
merv.hrabi

yes, you would either have to buy like two of the DWL-G800AP and use one as a AP and one as a range extender, or one router and one range extender.......

Robert.....

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.