Wireless repeater that will work with many vendors

I am looking to purchase a wireless device (802.11b or g) that will repeat signals consistently from a variety of access points like Dlink, Linksys, Belkin, Netgear etc.

I am thinking about the Dlink DWL-2100AP, Airlink101 AP411W, or the Netgear WG-602. Or any repeater that someone out there can recommend?

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Thanks.

Reply to
Marshall Lymer
Loading thread data ...

"Marshall Lymer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

The issue is that repeater mode is an implementation of Wireless Distribution System, WDS. While WDS is described in IEEE 802.11 its operation is not defined in sufficient unambiguous detail.

This means that WDS implmentations from different manufacturers differ slightly, and there is no guarantee that products from one manufacturer will work with products from another - or even between products from the same manufacturer!

The following article gives a good overview:

You ask for recommendations. Well, products from Buffalo Technology have a good reputation, but I have no direct personal experience.

I do have considerable experience of the D-Link DWL-900AP+. This product (and many similar products from other vendors) is actually a rebadged Global Sun Technology device, and its generic design allows it to interwork with many devices. It has a Repeater mode which works fine as long as you can tolerate the drop in throughput associated with a single radio.

However, I prefer to use a pair back-to-back, one configured as a wireless client, one as an access point. Since there are now two radios the drop in throughput is now far less severe, and this configuration works well.

Similar 'back-to-back' implementations will work with other mbrands and models of access point: you don't spefically need a repeater.

If you can get hold of them (the device is obsolescent, and is already end-of-life in the US, although it's still sold in the UK) I can thoroughly recommend the DWL-900AP+. It's one of D-Link's better products.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.