AVG AntiVirus and wireless

Hi

I have aproblem with the free version of AVG AntiVirus. I have a laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 card. It connects to my network fine, except if I install AVG. The Dlink utility still shows that I am connected and the signal is excellent, but I do not get an IP address from the router. Any ideas?

Thanks Colin

Reply to
Colin
Loading thread data ...

I think this is AVG attempting to download updates before a LAN connection has been established. The result is that the host assumes a default local IP address (which is outside that normally allocated for the LAN) - so subsequent attempts to connectto the LAN fail.

The solution: turn off automatic updates by AVG:- AVG Test Centre. Service. ScheduleUpdate - untick the boxes.

hope this helps Another Colin

Reply to
nospam

Have you thought about using any of the many other AV programs out there? Is that specific free one worth the hassle?

Reply to
Peter Pan

discovered

network. For

news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

assumes

allocated

Reply to
2frosty

I have 2 Windows 2000 systems , Computer 1 is hardwired to DSL, computer 2 receives internet via wireless network and WinProxy, I have found that if the update function in AVG, Spybot, and AdAware is not set to the proxy setting of the IP of computer 1's wireless card, as well as proxy in computer 2's network settings being set to this IP, I get the same problem you are describing. With these proxies set at wireless card on computer 1's IP address, all plays together real nicely, AVG updates itself and checks email without fail, am using MOzilla as Web browser. Good Luck Frosty

Reply to
2frosty

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Thanks. In the meantime I tried different configurations and discovered that it is the AVG email scanner that interferes with the WiFi network. For some reason it does not interfere with a wired network I have on another machine. On the WiFi connected laptop the network works fine if I disable the Email scanner. Any ideas what to do about this?

Thanks Colin

"nospam" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Reply to
Colin

I use AVG 7.0 and have no problems with email on either wired or wireless machines. However I turned off the "certify mail" option as its useless (anyone could forge that footer trivially). Maybe something like this is interfering with it.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.