Wireless problem (can't connect)

Hello all,

I'm having a problem that I think is pretty common on this group, which is I can't connect to my wireless home network. I can connect fine via cable, but when I attempt to connect wirelessly, it can find the network, it just doesn't connect. I have been looking around at sites and forums for the answer to my problem, and I have noticed one thing. When I do the old Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig when attempting to connect wirelessly, my wireless adapter has an IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx which I think is a bad thing, seeing as my Belkin router should only be assigning IPs in the range 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.50. Any suggestions?

BTW, security is configured properly, no firewall issues. My laptop (Dell 600m) is using the Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG card and we're using a Belkin Wireless G Plus router.

Also strange, I just noticed as I did an ipconfig /all that the adapter that it is trying to use to connect is something called a Nortel Adapter? That's the one that is getting the 169.254.xxx.xxx address, and it says my Intel adapter isn't connected. I don't really know what that means, but I guess the more info the better.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

On 27 Jun 2006 11:26:09 -0700, "Jim" wrote in :

DHCP isn't working, a problem that needs to be fixed.

I doubt it, and think that's the cause of your problem.

Reply to
John Navas

How can I fix DHCP? And I say that security is configured properly because I don't have any security enabled on the network, which I know is bad, but I just want to get it to work. The only thing I have enabled is MAC address filetering, and the correct addresses are listed there.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim

On 1 Jul 2006 09:09:48 -0700, "Jim" wrote in :

MAC addresses are so easily spoofed that there's no real point in filtering. Try getting rid of the MAC filtering -- perhaps there's some error you haven't noticed. When troubleshooting a difficult problem it's best to start with *all* security turned off.

From your original description of the problem it sounds like you may be connecting (associating) but not getting a DHCP address.

It would help to have more information:

• What access point or router (make, model, and firmware)?
  • What wireless adapter (make and model)?
  • What OS?
  • What software is controlling the wireless adapter?
  • What are the exact symptoms of the connection failure?
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.