Belkin and Netgear Routers

I have had a Netgear router (RP614, wired) for some time, it has worked great. A few days ago, I replaced it with a Belkin wireless router (F5D7230-4), and it too worked great.

However, when I replaced the Belkin wireless router with my old Netgear router, the latter didn't work at all.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Michael White
Loading thread data ...

"Michael White" hath wroth:

Nothing wrong. When you swap hardware, the connecting devices still think they're connected to the old devices MAC address. Power on/off your cable or DSL modem. (Wait about 15 seconds when it's off before plugging it back in as some modems hold their power for a while). Your Windoze(?) box should detect the change, but just to be sure that both the MAC address and DHCP IP address are updated, reboot the computer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the suggestion. I did, and it still didn't work.

Reply to
Michael White

Hi, What do you see when you ping the router or do command ipconfig /all?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Michael White" hath wroth:

Ok, then let's check a few assumptions.

1. Do plug the wrong power adapter into the wrong router?
  2. Is the cable or DSL modem cable plugged into the WAN(internet) port on the netgear?
  3. Are all the lights on the front of the Netgear RP614 correctly lit?
  4. Are you getting a proper IP address from the router? Try: start -> run -> cmd ipconfig If the IP address is 192.168.1.xxx then it's working and came from the Netgear router. If it's 192.168.2.xxx then it *WAS* working when plugged into the Belkin router, but your PC has retained the old IP address. If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, then DHCP is not working. If it's
0.0.0.0, wait a while longer and try again.
  1. Can you ping the RP614 router? If so, can you connect to the configuration web server? Is of, can you see your settings or have they magically been cleared? Plugging in the wrong power adapter sometimes does that just before it turns your router into a paperweight.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the help.

I did ipconfig /release and then /renew. It showed

Reply to
Michael White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.