Wireless Print Server - Without Connecting to Router or PC

[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Worse, typical home kit comes with horribly misnamed features that don't do what the name suggests, as in the case of "DMZ".

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Mark McIntyre hath wroth:

- Is it Cisco PAT or the industry convention of calling everything NAT?

- Is it a Layer 3 switch, or it is a router?

- What every happened to the brouter (bridge-router)?

- Is it a repeater, or an ethernet hub?

- When will MPLS (multi-protocol label switching) handle more than one protocol?

Linux is a "toy OS"? You realize that this might offend the righteous and bring the protesting horde to your doorstep? As a former member of the SCO contingent, I can assure you that insulting Linux is a very bad idea.

Also it's not "throw away". The politically correct term is "recycleable".

Anyway, I'll conceed the point, call it a "print server" and promise to be good, at least until marketing invents a new buzzword.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

John Navas wrote in news:KYyWf.40373$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

... compounded by crass product market differentiation BS through proprietary and pre-standards functionality: RangeMax, pre-N, MIMO etc. These are *consumer* products fercrissake!

Fortunately I'm able to help local non-tech users to acquire and install the right solution for their requirements - for a reasonable fee, of course :-)

These products are not industrial-strength, nor intended to be so, they are *very* good value for money and reliable enough for their target market. For example, in my own network my Linksys WRT54G runs continuously for longer than two months at a time without problem. When it begins to falter, a quick power-cycle restores it to normal service - no problem once you're used to it.

I expect it would last several minutes at a stretch running flat-out in a corporate network.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Who mentioned Linux?

I'm scared... :-)

Yeah, right. :-)

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

d[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Linux is the OS on some of your "throwaway consumer devices" (e.g., Linksys). Or didn't you know that? ;)

Reply to
John Navas

You proclaimed that the cheap consumer routers use a "toy OS" as in: "In the latter, routers are throwaway consumer devices running a toy OS ..." I'm sure you know that many consumer routers use Linux as their OS. Others are VxWorks, QNX, and a mess of Linux derivatives.

Walk carefully when you tread upon the sacred cow of a Linux product or wrath of the fanatical multitudes will be upon thee.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Like I said, where did I mention Linux

So what?

ICGTW. FWIW I use linux extensively at work (RHEL3/4) and its a fine OS. I'd not describe it as a dedicated OS for running firewalls tho. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre cried out

You didn't directly, but of course the Linux people will pull it out of the convo somehow, dear god here it comes, i probably shouldn't have said that

Reply to
Rosco

*shrug* LICGAF

And here's me building a PC and installing RH Fedora core to use as a mailserver and webserver, as a project with my son over Easter.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.