Print Server vs Print / Scan Server

I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:

formatting link

I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP (AES). So any print server I use must also have this. The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.

formatting link
However, Brother says I should use this one:
formatting link
problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.

Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?

Reply to
WJ
Loading thread data ...

I would LOVE to do that. However, the location I want to put my printer in is not conducive to that. That is the last option. Ideally, I would like to have the printer in a central location for all machines instead of sitting in the same room as the router.

Reply to
wj

formatting link

Why don't you just get a wire print server and plug it into one of the 54G wire LAN ports and be done with it? Wireless and wired machines should be able to print to the printer connected to the print server, because it's connected to the router and is just another network device with an IP. My wireless and wired machines can print with no problems.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Generally, printing is easy, and faxing, scanning, etc are very difficult to get right in a print server that isn't specifically made for your device. Those other things require feedback from the device to the requesting computer, and there's no standard way of doing that. For instance, some of the HP multifunction devices have a WWWeb server, where you go to do you scanning...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.