802B vs. G

Linksys tech support said if I upgrade my 802B wireless router to a "G" that I will get internet speed improvement even though my 3 wireless network cards remain "B". Is this true ? They said the theoretical 11 mps of the "B" router is being divided by 3 (due to the 3 computers on the net with "B" network cards- even if two of the machines are idle and unused). True ? They also said that even though with the presence of slower "B" network cards such that they couldn't enjoy the 54 mps of "G", at least they would be allowed to max out at 22 mps rather than having their 11 mps throughput or bandwidth being divided by 3. True ? Any other reason why my internet connection is so slow ? Thanks for any help.

Bob

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

No. You would have to replace BOTH your router and client radios with

802.11g equipment to get a speed improvement. It might be possible to get a slight improvement by simply replacing the router, as the newer hardware tends to have somewhat better radios.

Incidentally, your internet speed is limited by the speed of your DSL, cable, or satellite connections. If it's a 1.5Mbit/sec DSL line, then no amount of tinkering with the wireless hardware is going to give you a download speed faster than 1.5Mbits/sec.

No. Traffic is distributed roughly evenly between active workstations. Idle workstations do not present a load.

Muddled. There is no divide by 3, so forget that part of the puzzle. What they're mumbling about is that a pure 802.11g connection will give you about 22Mbits/sec thruput. However, the presence of even one

802.11b device will slow down the 802.11g hardware to about 9-11Mbits/sec thruput. Therefore, if wireless speed is an issue, replacing ALL the hardware with 802.11g radios is required.

Worm, virus, spyware, trojans, RF interference, QoS misconfiguration, lousy signal, wrong RWIN (for W95/98), etc. Not enough info supplied to offer specific suggestions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

They're pissing on you, and telling you it's rain!

One reason you should consider buying another brand, when you do decide to upgrade. Netgear comes to mind.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

'they' in the original quote refered to 54G cards.

Yes, this works by using 2 channels I believe, one for Tx and one for Rx.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Is that a proprietary additional QoS offered by Linksys? AFAIK the

802.11b places an upper limit of 11Mbps transfer rate. I have seen various implementors claiming 22Mbps using proprietary extensions, that require you to use their NICs/WAPs exclusively.

I have had 802.11b to connect a notebook to a broadband cable connection for a number of years. The Internet connection is not physically fast enough to saturate the 'b' WLAN (i.e. there is no difference in Internet connectivity between WLAN or 100Mbps LAN). What Internet activity occurs on the other machines hooked up to the WLAN?

AT

Reply to
Andrew Tyson

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message news:...

Thanks to all for helping. A little confused still since response indicated throughput is not a function of number of computers on net per se but only the "active" ones (which I presume means transmitting stuff as opposed to on but sitting idle). But elsewhere it was noted that presence of even one "B" radio will degrade throughput (and from this I presume it means if you have an "active" B and an "active" G this will degrade performance of the G, but if the Bs on the net are idle, the G will still perform like a G). Correct ? In any event, since two desktops and a laptop are all experiencing the same very slow internet (with a pcmcia, a USB, and a PC network card of differing brands, e.g. DLink and Linksys), I thought it unlikely they would all have the same hardware issue or issues with worm, virus, spyware, lousy signal, etc. Actually I sat the laptop right next to the transmitter and it shows a 100% QoS and signal strenght and STILL was slow. So I thought the next step is to run a machine directly off the Roadrunner cable modem Ethernet port and see if performance is normal in which case I can eliminate Roadrunner as the culprit. We got digital phone from Time Warner not long ago and it seems that's when speed started decreasing but may be my imagination. Anyway, I thought it best to confirm its not Roadrunner causing the slow speed before proceeding to debug the wireless router setups. So... If its not Roadrunner (I'll know this week), then I'll be back asking where to go from there re worms, virus, spyware, firewall, wrong "RWIN" (whatever that is...), etc. "G" routers and network cards of all flavors (pcmcia, USB, pc) are so cheap now because of Christmas sales that a mixed G and B is no longer an issue (so I guess the question above is rendered moot)and I'll replace all B with G (even though as I understand it the limiting factor is probably the ISP anyway). Again, thanks for the help all. I may be back and would sure appreciate running into you guys again if RR isn't the problem. Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.