wireless internet 1 third the speed of wired

hi i have just set up wireless in or place and what stumps me is that my connection is 1/3 the speed that it is when it is connected via a wire. my normal connection rate is ~16000kbps but it only transmits ~5000kbps. this does not matter how far the computer is away from the router. i am using a usb wireless transmitter my router is a di-624. my encryption is WEP 128bit

please help.

Regards Kelvan

Reply to
Lord Kelvan
Loading thread data ...

Are you using 802.11b?

Reply to
Char Jackson

no my hardwars is all 802.11g both the usb reciever and the router

Reply to
Lord Kelvan

Could be interference and/or weak signal. Check the Wiki for some things to check.

formatting link

Reply to
Char Jackson

Maybe the USB adapter is not getting sufficient DC power from the connector.

Try running it from a powered hub.

A bad USB extension cable can also cause problems.

If the supplied power is not sufficient, the adapter speed will fall back to USB1.

Reply to
me here

tryed all different cables and even plugging it into the port directally still no difference

as fior signal strength my strength at the moment is 54Mbps and the only other wireless transmitter is the cordless phone but that is on the 1.8GHz frequency and the router is on 2.4

just ran a dsl speed report and this is the results if that helps

down 399kbps up 799kbps

normally when it is wired i get if the tester can manage to test it properly i get

~15000kbps down and the same as the wireless for up.

what dosnt make sence to me is the up signal is very powerful but the down is weak.

my data rate on my modem is

down 15989 kbps up 944 kbps

and i achieve thoes rates on a wired connection

Reply to
Lord Kelvan

What brand of USB adapter and chipset?

Are you using windows zero config nwetwork management for the adapter?

Reply to
me here

ide quoted text -

i am using an asus wl-167g usb adaptor. one of the few that works with windows xp sp3

i am using asus's program for the connection but it makes no difference which one i use for the speed

as for the chip set i am unsure which chip set you are referring to?

Reply to
Lord Kelvan

I wasn't aware of any problems with SP3 and XP with wifi adapters.

I use Realtek chipset USB adapters and they work fine with SP3 under XP.

The Asus wl-167g USB adapters use the Ralink chipset.

The Ralink driver should have it's own wifi management program.

It's always best to use the one supplied with the adapter, rather than the Windows zero configuration option.

Sounds like you have that covered.

Reply to
me here

How are you measuring how "powerful" these are? Signal strength? Test equipment? Netstumbler? Kismet?

Most current USB adapters I've tried work with XP SP3. I'm not sure where you obtained the idea that this is the only one that works. Can I presume that you've attempted to use other USB adapters? If so, are the drivers for those adapters still installed on your unspecified model computer? If this is the case, you might consider removing them using the control panel, add-remove, as they are probably fighting each other.

You mention elsewhere that your router is a Dlink DI-624. (In the future, it would be helpful if you would disclose what you're doing and what equipment you have to play with). I'm quite familiar with this router, which has it's collection of problem.

1. Is it a DI-624 or DI-624+ ??
  2. Is it a hardware revision A, B, C, D, or E ?? They're all very different hardware.
  3. Do you have the latest firmware installed? Check on the Dlink web pile.
  4. Why are you using WEP? If it's because the firmware only supports WEP, you have a very old version. I suggest WPA or WPA2 and a more useful alternative.

I'm not familiar with Asus's program. Does it have a name or preferably a URL to see what it does. It's possible that you're measuring the wireless connection rate, instead of the thruput. I can't tell without looking at the program.

You might be expecting a bit much from the DI-624. Several of the early models were problematic. I don't think I've ever seen one move data at much over about 15Mbits/sec. Unfortunately, the DI-624 is no longer listed on the benchmark tables at:

Please note the WIDE range of measured thruput (which rarely corresponds to advertised claims). Frankly, it's an old router, which might require replacement in order to obtain full speeds.

One clue might be to obtain your wireless connection speed. In order to obtain 16Mbits/sec thruput, you will need to have at least a solid and stable 32MBite/sec wireless connection. Your Asus connection utility, Netstumbler, or WirelessMon, or other monitoring utility should show this speed. My guess(tm) is that if you're only getting

5Mbit/sec, your unspecified model computah is probably stuck in 802.11b mode, probably because of excessive interference, or more likely because you're using a USB 1.1 port instead of USB 2.0.

If you want to nail down the exact cause, it's often best to diagnose by replacement. The first step is to take your cable modem out of the picture. Find another computer, plug it into one of the LAN ports on the DI-624, and fire up iPerf or preferably Jperf in server mode. Then, run the Jperf on the client computer to obtain thruput number for only the wireless link.

Be sure to run an ethernet to ethernet benchmark, as well as the usual ethernet to wireless benchmark, to make sure that the computers are faster than the wireless link.

<
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Just a thought, wireless entails encryption, wired is a straight through connection. That takes overhead, and reduces your throughput.

Another thing is that wireless also take additional processing power from the router. Again slowing the speed.

I had the same thing happen to me on a dlink unit. I switched to a new unit with a faster processor and my speed went up. It is still slower than wired, but much better.

Reply to
Rich Johnson

i am using a dsl speed report but i can also see what my speed is via downloads

i had a blekin wireless g adaptor it dosnt even install on windows xp sp3 but i have removed all the information from that adaptor from my computer i have also noted when trying to find another adaptor to replace that one that other people have had problems with other wireless usb adaptors on windows xp sp3

the router is D-Link DI-624 Air Extreme Plus it has the latest firmware updated it when i brought it. as for the security i just used the first one i selected i will try to set up wpa. i know different security models have different overheads and i know these overheads do take up some bandwidth. i notice when i disable my security my down rate it goes up by 100-200 kbps but again it is still quite low compared to my wired connection. and i do concede that i will not get all that power on my down rate bout i would at least like 2/3 the rate so 10000kbps.

as for the hardware revision i will have to check when i get home.

i dont remember off the top of my head i iwll check when i get home

nope using usb 2.0 as stated above my speed increases to ~7000kbps with no encryption. my asus program show i am getting 48 - 54Mbps stable. but that dosnt matter as i can be sitting right next to the router through wireless and it makes no difference.

pity i dont have another computer not anyway to obtain one for this test.

Reply to
Lord Kelvan

but woudl that note why my up connection to the wireless is 700kbps and my down is 400kbps. or is it that there is no encryption on the up connection only on the down connection.

Reply to
Lord Kelvan

i am using an asus wl-167g usb adaptor. one of the few that works with windows xp sp3

i am using asus's program for the connection but it makes no difference which one i use for the speed

as for the chip set i am unsure which chip set you are referring to?

Reply to
ps56k

i have a pc and i have disabled any power saving options.

Reply to
Lord Kelvan

I have two Belkin F5D7050 54G adapters on WinXP SP3 machines. There have been no problems with drivers. One was installed on the PC before SP3 came out, the other was installed this week, with SP3 already in place.

As another poster mentioned, the cable that was supplied with the first Belkin was thin, and I had problems with lockups that went away when I substituted a commodity USB cable.

Belkin no longer supplies the little stand and wimpy cable. The new adapter is plugged directly into a port on the back of the PC.

I installed the Belkin package, but elected to use Wireless Zero Config. f5d7050v3_ww_03.00.07_w2.exe was downloaded from the Belkin site.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600 Product Type Belkin 54g Wireless USB Network Adapter

There are several variants of the same named adapter, with different downloads for each. They might be completely different chipsets, requiring different drivers, but that wouldn't be specific to SP3.

Reply to
dold

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:17:58 -0800 (PST), Lord Kelvan wrote in :

Decent wireless USB adapters work fine on Windows XP, Blekin (pun intended) notwithstanding.

A common problem is buying on price alone: fast, cheap, good -- pick (at most) two.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:00:52 -0600, "ps56k" wrote in :

*All* decent USB adapters work fine with Windows XP.
Reply to
John Navas

Maybe because the encryption on the upload happens in the computer? The decryption would happen at the router though, but maybe it is a simpler algorithm?

I really don't know, these are guesses. I do know when I went to a newer type of router, my speed more than doubled.

Reply to
Rich Johnson

whats your point? wired is *always* way faster than wireless, and check your math/abbreviations.... (5000 kbps = 5 million/mega bits per second, if in fact that number is correct, thats about what 802.11 B does, i'd suspect you have something set to force it to B mode instead of b/g or g)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.