higher speed with wireless than wired!

I have a router, and I'm hoping someday to have a little home network.

No time to work on that now, but I'm happy that the wired and wireless connections work.

In the computer on my desk, 2 or 3 feet as the wire goes, from the router, I get a 100.0 Mbps connection.

Today I noticed that the computer in the basement, two flights down and 20 feet horizontally, I get 180.0 Mbps.

A. What's up with that?

Is it faster in the air because air is "thinner" than wire? If it were fudge, would it be somewhere in the middle?

If it matters, the first computer is 800 Mhz running XP sp3, and the basement computer is 1300 Mhz win2000 sp4.

B. Does the OS or cpu speed matter?

Reply to
mm
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, mm chose the tried and tested strategy of:

In both cases that's the raw speed. With the wireless however, the overheads are a lot higher, so the actual usable throughput you get from the wireless may be less than the wired connection. Another thought that strikes me is that the speed will always be shown as 180Mbps regardless of the quality of the wireless signal. Move to the edge of your wireless range and see if it still reports a 180Mbps connection.

Yes. If you have an inefficient OS [or more likely, inefficient network drivers] or a slow CPU, you may hit other bottlenecks before the network speed.

If you want to test this yourself, you can use a synthetic bandwidth testing tool like iperf [or maybe that's iPerf].

Reply to
alexd

There are ethernet nic/s that just do 100 Mbit/s. Also that do 1000. And some 1 Gigs. Enterprise 10/40/100 gigs developing.

The card or the mobo implementation of a nic matters.

Reply to
Mike Easter

I forgot that my nic is 100/1000.

Well, an other guy set up the fast one, and I just plugged in the seemingly slower XP one.

Either speed is fast enough. I just wanted to know what is going on.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Thank goodness for that. I like wire, and I don't like to see it dissed. Air otoh is promiscuous.

I'd need bigger arms and a longer cord. I do have a laptop, but haven't used it for a year or two. It's mostly for travel or showing people photos.

I'll look into that.

I don't do anything requiring speed, except sometimes dl'ing video. Maybe I'll do some of that to see if I can see a difference.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

hate to say it but it's a flat out bald faced lie.... wireless ethernet is never ever in reality faster than wired ethernet, but some manufacturers put a phony lieing number on the screen so people think they are doing what they arent faster.... drivers can display any number they choose (real or not) on the icon on the system tray.... run most benchmark programs, and the max speed for wireless is 54, wired 100

Reply to
Peter Pan

The max speed of 54 is true for wireless G routers, but for wireless N the maximum is 600. Of course, not all N routers can do 600. Mine has a maximum of 270.

Oh, and 100 Mbit is not the max for wired. The 40 Gbit and 100 Gbit standards just got ratified. But never mind those. Most NICs these days are 10/100/1000 Mbit.

Reply to
Raven

i thought the theoretical max was 300

formatting link

802.11n networks support approximately 300 Mbps of rated (theoretical) bandwidth under the best conditions. Unfortunately, an 802.11n network will sometimes operate at much lower speeds (130 Mbps and below).

Answer: For an 802.11n network to run at its maximum speed, Wireless N routers and network adapters must be linked and running in a channel bonding mode.

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link
Some 600 Mbit N routers may begin to roll out:
formatting link

Reply to
Raven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.