This make any good ? Engenius AP

Access Point Senao/ Engenius 2,4ghz Esr-1221 B/g Firmware 400mw

formatting link
Engenius has it as "discontinued", but 40 dollars sounds OK.

It appears I can unscrew the 2db antenna and put my 24db antenna's reverse sma tipped cable directly into it. Anyone confirm that ?

TIA

Reply to
Shadow
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

I can't access that link but I am always dubious of some of these power o/p claims. ESR1221EXT

notice that it says 200mW

Available Transmit Power

2.412~2.472G (IEEE 802.11g) Up to 17 dBm @6 ~ 54Mbps 2.412~2.472G (IEEE 802.11b) Up to 23 dBm @1~11Mbps 200mW only when using 11b Antenna *1 Detachable (RP-SMA), Peak Gain=2 dbi

Your shipping costs probably make it cheaper for you to use the .bra site but the ESR1221EXT is $34.49

They appear to run a forum for Engenius products.

The engenius site doesn't list an ESR1221 on it's EOL products.

Reply to
Bob

formatting link
>

They claim the power can be raised with a non-standard firmware, although most sites recommend using 250mW max, and using a fan if you put it at 400Mw. The firmware is from

formatting link
I have no idea if it works, but it appears to be quite popular. I was more worried about the quality of the components, some makes have gone very downhill. I have an ASUS-based router by my knee that's been working for 11 years, and a encore hub I've had to change

3 times in the last 2 years. Do you have any idea on how Mw and antenna db relate to range ? It seems obvious to me that a 24db antenna will have more range than a 2db one, but there must be some kind of limit as to how much power it would be practical to use. And to how big an antenna can be, if you don't have much power. As far as I know, there are no legal limits to power where I live in Brazil. []'s PS Thanks for the links
Reply to
Shadow

formatting link
>>

You are forgetting that communication is a two way operation and no matter how much power you can transmit you are dependent on the the other site having sufficient power for you to receive a workable signal. There are numerous link calculators available on the web for you to get some idea of what different combinations can achieve. but there must be some kind of limit as to how much power

ITU compliant countries do tend to have restrictions in place. I don't read Portuguese but you may find the limits here:-

Reply to
Bob

People don't tend to report when their eqpt works, however a search on dslreports comes up these for Engenius problems:-

Reply to
Bob

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:25:15 -0200, Shadow wrote in :

Good hardware, not so good firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

Amazing search capabilities!!! And I thought I had a high IQ :) The legal limit appears to be 500Mw measured at 3 meters from the transmitter. TY []'s

Reply to
Shadow

I confirmed this in a forum letter. Detachable antennas with standard connectors are always a good feature, even if it's just to stick a cheap 5db antenna on. My netgear WGR614v9 apparently does not have this "feature".

Good. They all come with third party firmware, with all sorts of filtering , logging and load sharing built in here in Brazil. All included in the price. So a good buy. TY []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.